How to remove the brown Algae from the rocks and sands?

pegasus,

I am recently added and tested bio-balls, since it is the testing, I only fill up half draw and the other half draw I use bio ring, this could cost the problem that I have, thanks.

Bryce E

Pegasus's light schedule is good advice. Especially if you have the equipment and the ability to ramp up and down providing the strongest lighting simulating mid day sun. It's up to you when you start and stop this you just want to make sure that if you have corals they are getting enough light since that is their primary food source. I'm not an early riser and tend to stay up late and enjoy watching my tanks so my lighting schedule is similar but I start it a couple hours later and end it a couple of hours later. Typically my tank is lit up from 8:30 AM to 9:30 PM and I run my moonlights 24/7 they just stay on when the rest of the lights go out. But if are experiencing any white stuff coming out of your canister filter then it's time to clean it out and replace the media. One of the biggest arguments in the hobby has always been filtration. I used to use a canister filter as well but they can create a lot of harm to the tank if not maintained properly. The main downside to canister filters is that they need to be cleaned on a weekly basis to remove mulm and detritus from the pre-filter sponge or floss to prevent nitrate buildup. And since it's such a chore to do it often times it's not done as often as it needs to be.

I did clean up the canister today, 1). Remove the rings from the same draw of Bio-ball 2). did a 10% water change 3). Lower sanity to close to 1.0255. 4). I don't see the white powder coming now. Thanks all your guy help.