New Hobbyist: 20 Gallon?

I recently learned that I really like eels, and I might be able to get a 40 breeder tank - would that be sufficient room for a snowflake eel to be happy?

trigger40

yes that would work but you may not be able to keep any other fish with it but another eel or puffer.

Kristin1234

Agreed. A sump is just a box of water. Its what you put in it that counts.
Really? Man the more I read on here the more I think the guy who sold me everything isn't as smart as I originally thought.

I have a 3 chamber sump. First chamber has the sock where the drains go, Second chamber I have a protein skimmer, a black filter peice of material and third chamber has my return pumps.(2). Should I have another filter source?

I was thinking, would adding some bio balls around the sock in the first chamber do much? Or nothing? Do I need more filter?

Kristin1234

LOL...If you read the thread on how my sump came to be, you would know why I was so proud. Rather why the folks on this site should be proud, they all got together, worked together, and out of the goodness of their hearts made that sump...twice, because the UPS gorillas killed the first one. It's a great read, it has heros, a damsel in distress, and even has the UPS guy as a villain. I am not a snob about sumps, I am a snob about the great people on this site, this place is better then all others.

The snob factor are those who don't think you are a serious hobbyist because you use a canister filter. I took a little offense, when Snake said he has never seen a good looking reef that used a canister filter system, that's just ridicules....so I posted a picture of a beautiful healthy reef that ran on a canister filter system.

I searched and couldn't find this thread, can you provide a link? Pretty please!

Okay, so, I scrapped the 10 gallon idea BECAUSE it looks like I'm going to be able to set up my old 20. Apparently it's a 20 high (I thought it was long). Dimensions are 24" X 13" X 15" I will probably be setting it up in 7-8 weeks. I've been doing a ton of research, and I want to make it a reef tank. I know I'm going to need an HOB filter rated for a 50 gallon tank or more, a powerhead (will one be okay?), and a nano skimmer. Can anyone suggest some lights that would be good on my tank? I want to keep a variety of corals.

jay0705

A high end led will work. You will need fairly high light out put bc of the tank height. All though you stack your rock high closer to the top for corals

snakeblitz33

A basic four bulb T5 unit with ATI bulbs would be fine. You can get the unit for under $200 at pet mountain. The ATI bulbs are $~20 each on Amazon.

pegasus

A basic four bulb T5 unit with ATI bulbs would be fine. You can get the unit for under $200 at pet mountain. The ATI bulbs are $~20 each on Amazon.
+1. I love my ATI bulbs! They cost more than regular T5 HO, but I can see a big difference in my corals. Doesn't make sense to buy expensive corals only to watch them wither under cheap lights. I see UPS is going to deliver my 2 pocilloporas and porite corals today, so I get to put them to the test over the next week or two. I hope my green and red monti caps come pretty soon, too. I'm SOOOOO looking forward to adding color to my tank!!!

I was thinking maybe for stocking I could put
- one clownfish
- one orchid dottyback
- one pajama cardinal
- one firefish

Would there be too much agression? Would the tank be overstocked? I'm willing to do a water change every week, if necessary, up to five gallons.

silverado61

That led would be good enough for a fowlr tank but not for corals. And also make sure its a marine light fixture. Freshwater lights aren't sealed against salt.

jay0705

I was thinking maybe for stocking I could put
- one clownfish
- one orchid dottyback
- one pajama cardinal
- one firefish

Would there be too much agression? Would the tank be overstocked? I'm willing to do a water change every week, if necessary, up to five gallons.
Pj I believe are better in groups. Dotty back its iffy if it would mess w the fire. I have a royal gramma and it leaves my fire alone. Also have a purple pseudo and its on and off w my other fire

pegasus

I have a pair of firefish, and I had an orchid dottyback that never bothered them. After it died, I got (and still have) a neon dottyback that doesn't bother them, either. Then again, I have a 125 gallon tank that gives them plenty of space, which allows them to occupy different areas. The firefish normally hang in the water column above the rocks, and the dottyback cruises around the middle of the rocks. That being said... an orchid dottyback is recommended for tanks 30 gallons or larger. Putting it in a 20 gallon tank with passive fish will most likely end badly. Your best bet is to pass on the dottyback,.. or get a bigger tank.

jay0705

I just upgraded my 20 but in it I had, a sunrise dotty back, yellow tail damsel, maroon clown, scooter blenny and spotted mandarin. All got along ok.