Latest video of my tank

ClaptonsGhost

After suffering a major catastrophe (closed covers trapping carbon dioxide in my tank. Who knew!?!) I've slowly restocked, with a couple of survivors still hanging in.

ClaptonsGhost

A scissor tale gobi. I love the gothic coloring on that thing. They completely hide for like a month before they finally start coming out. Thanks for all the compliments. I've since added a Flame Angel and a Powder Blue tang.

The Engineer gobi was a terror at first. Once he started digging all the substrate out from beneath my live rock my water was constantly cloudy. I was really angry at the LFS for selling it to me, knowing how I am about my tank and water clarity. I've since repositioned my power heads so that they constantly blow the dust towards my overflows, so instead of hanging in the water column it's being blown away and out of the tank. Tank is crystal clear again.

If you've seen my earlier video you'll know I've also almost completely removed all of my fake corals and added mushrooms, red sponge and some Angel proof button polyps.

seecrabrun

That "eel" is captivating!!! Add that to my list of possibles when I have a large tank. What is the species name?

pegasus

Yeah, engineer gobies are really cute... until you put a couple of babies in a 40B with Fiji pink sand... and then they grow up! The sand is completely redecorated every evening when I get home. GRRRR!!! Lol... I don't really mind, but like you said, they tend to much the water up. They've turned it over so many times that there's not much small stuff left to cloud the water, so it's not so bad. It's always interesting to see which mountain range they will construct by the time I see the tank again...

Yeah, I was wondering what size tank you have, also. It doesn't appear to be a huge tank, but yet it holds 4 tangs, three angels, a boatload of chromis, and a sprinkling of others? You must have one heck of a filtration system!

seecrabrun

It's called an Engineer Goby. I have two fully grown in a 40 gallon breeder...
Yeah but this is my mythical large tank where I get to keep my parrotfish, damsels, and gigantic hermits, and also swim with them. LOL! A girl can dream, right?

But in reality, when I do finally upgrade from my nano tanks, I'll probably jump straight to something significant so everyone has lots of room.

ClaptonsGhost

It's called an Engineer Goby. I have two fully grown in a 40 gallon breeder...
Just keep in mind, seecrabrun, that it will totally remove all substrate from beneath your live rock or whatever else you may have in your tank. This will kick up a LOT of dust. My sand sifting goby made it even worse when he sifted through the newly exposed substrate. I mentioned my solution above, but I also had to do a large water change to vacuum as much of the dust out of the tank as I could.

ClaptonsGhost

Yeah, engineer gobies are really cute... until you put a couple of babies in a 40B with Fiji pink sand... and then they grow up! The sand is completely redecorated every evening when I get home. GRRRR!!! Lol... I don't really mind, but like you said, they tend to much the water up. They've turned it over so many times that there's not much small stuff left to cloud the water, so it's not so bad. It's always interesting to see which mountain range they will construct by the time I see the tank again...

Yeah, I was wondering what size tank you have, also. It doesn't appear to be a huge tank, but yet it holds 4 tangs, three angels, a boatload of chromis, and a sprinkling of others? You must have one heck of a filtration system!
Actually you're only seeing a third of the tank. It's 6ft. long but I shot close in so you're only seeing a little over 4 feet of it. My filtration isn't all that impressive. A 30 gallon sump with two filter socks filled with 1 chemipure bag each, an eshopps PK-200 skimmer, another large bag of chemipure that the water has to pass through, a Phosban 50 (500?) filled with bio-pellets, an average sized UV filter, and 2 return pumps (Triton 5's which I've managed to practically silence)

I completely agree about the GRRRRR!!!! part. Now that everything has calmed down I'm happy, but anyone else looking to get an engineer goby, be forewarned!!! Mine was actually returned to my LFS for a refund, with the admonition that he hated what it did to his tank.

pegasus

Actually you're only seeing a third of the tank. It's 6ft. long but I shot close in so you're only seeing a little over 4 feet of it.
Ah... I can see it now. In the beginning of the video, I could see the left side of the tank and what I thought was the right side... but is actually the overflow box. Yeah, it's hard to get a 6' tank in the frame without backing way off. I have to step back about 6' to get all of mine in unless I use a panoramic setting. Then it just looks goofy...

ClaptonsGhost

Yes, you can see the entire overflow on the right, plus there's another 6" or so that's cut off. On the left you're just seeing a part of the overflow, and again, there's about 6-8" more tank to the left of that one. I can get far enough back to include the whole tank but then the edges bow due to lens distortion.