Need some lights!

Kristin1234

Currently my 100 gallon has a open top and no lights. I don't mind the open top, and don't really want to close it. It is 48" long. I do not have a canopy or really anything I can suspend the lights from. I need a type of light that can clip into each end of the tank. I am seeing some from marineland, anyone have any luck with them? Good product or nah?

jay0705

Home depot has these lights that clip on. Use a 75w bulb and your golden. Lol
Marineland makes an ok light. If your not going reef there fine. Alot of leds are adjustable, I believe 72"-48"

snakeblitz33

Anemones need intense, high quality light to do well long term.

Marineland in my honest opinion won't give PAR/PUR values you would need.

Quality LED lighting isn't cheap, but neither is T5 or metal halide lighting.

There are six to eight bulb T5 HO fixtures they sell for horticulture that is pretty cheap but you would still have to buy the right bulbs.

They sell $100 chinese LED lights that are full spectrum but to my knowledge they don't have feet on them.

Maxspect I think makes a 48" led unit that is decent for corals and anemones.

Kristin1234

But I also don't want all leds. I wa
Anemones need intense, high quality light to do well long term.

Marineland in my honest opinion won't give PAR/PUR values you would need.

Quality LED lighting isn't cheap, but neither is T5 or metal halide lighting.

There are six to eight bulb T5 HO fixtures they sell for horticulture that is pretty cheap but you would still have to buy the right bulbs.

They sell $100 chinese LED lights that are full spectrum but to my knowledge they don't have feet on them.

Maxspect I think makes a 48" led unit that is decent for corals and anemones.
But if I go all led won't it take from my fish natural colors?

snakeblitz33

Not from what I have seen. A fishes natural colors are those colors that are reflected from the full spectrum of the sun at a certain depth while you are scuba diving.

I personally enjoy looking at my fish and corals with more "daylight" than actinic lighting. But that's my personal preference. Most LED systems have customized settings that you can select how intense the daylight is and how intense the actinic blue lights are.

LEDs never really messed with the natural colors of the fish, at least to my eyes. Since LEDs can be adjusted, I'm sure you could find a sweet spot too.