need 20 gallon saltwater tank ideas

seecrabrun

Everyone will tell you to stay far away from damsels. I personally love them and have a dedicated tank for them. But you basically can only have 1 damsel in a 20g and nothing else. You might get away with a fish that hides in the rocks if you set up your tank with lots of caves. That way if the damsel does get aggressive the other fish can hide out.

But mostly you probably don't want to get a damsel unless it's the only thing you really want. And chromis are damsels, they may be less aggressive than other damsels but apparently they are still quite aggressive especially in small tanks.

Damsels are not the devil though. They are lovely fish, they are just aggressive fish and it should be remembered as that even though they are small.

jay0705

I have a 20L in it I have 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 Sunrise dotty back , 1 maroon clown, scooter blenny, and a spotted mandarin. I have no issues w the damsel.
Rt now iam cycling a 29. To put those fish in. The clown is getting big

jay0705

It started w nutramar prawn roe. They love it. But while feeding my other fish I noticed they would pick off brine and mysis. So now when I get one I bag feed. While acclimating I add a few to see if they will eat

pegasus

Tank bred and/or raised dragonets are usually eating frozen food by the time they go on sale. That's the easiest way to ensure they will eat frozen food, but even wild-caught dragonets can be trained like jay did his. If they don't take to it in the bag, they need to be quarantined in a small tank and offered a variety of food to see what they will eat. It doesn't always work, but it's the easiest way to train them. Of course... if you have a large enough tank to support a healthy pod population, you don't have to do anything but acclimate them and the tank will provide all they need. Just saying...

jay0705

I agree, but in my case I have other pod hunters aswell. 6line wrasse, sand sifting gobies , etc. I knew a natural pod production wasn't going to be enough. Iam on the edge of this theory tho. Is having other frozen eating draggonets in the same tank, helpful in training new fish? I know it doesn't hurt, but idk if it makes a big difference

snakeblitz33

A pair of clownfish and a large toadstool leather always looked cool to me for a small tank. Easy to maintain too.

pegasus

any dwarf angels suitable for a 20 gallon
None. You have limited space, so think small... as in small fish. You can definitely go with a clown, chromis, and firefish. I'd put two or three, as they tend to school. Not a flashy school, but they do hang together. A covered tank is a must, as they tend to be jumpers.

firefish clown fish r definit but i have to hold off on gettin my tank saltwater my 55 gallon cichlid tank had a leak so i have an oscar two convicts cramped in a 20 until i fix the 55 then il switch the 20 to saltwater with 3-4 fish