Nooooo!!! :(

Kristin1234

Found my flame angel dead this morning. He has been in the tank for a week and he was awfully shy. Stayed hidden in the live rock. I'm wondering if he got stuck in the rock? When I saw him the morning his face was poking out of some live rock and I had to remove the rock to get him out. When his body came out it was bent. Like his body was V shaped. Do you think he got stuck in the rock & was unable to get out? I'm bummed. He was such a pretty guy, not to mention he was pricey...

Kristin1234

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Were your rocks secure? As it sounds like they may have collapsed on him.
I mean, I considered them to be secure! When building the rock structure I would put some weight in the top and put some pressure on them to the point they wouldn't move. Dug sand out from the bottom of them and all that good stuff!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You don't mention how long you had this fish or whether there was aggression going in the tank.

I'm going to move this topic to the Fish Discussion Forum....see you there!

Kristin1234

You don't mention how long you had this fish or whether there was aggression going in the tank.

I'm going to move this topic to the Fish Discussion Forum....see you there!

No aggression that I am aware of. Tank mates are sailfin tang, fox face, 2 snow flake clowns, 2 pj cardinals, dartfish, and a dwarf lion.

Dwarf is being rehomed in my bedroom as soon as I get the tank cycled. He is no bigger than my thumb so I know he's not the culprit. ( unless he stung?!?) Then my cuc.

What do you think?

Water parameters and salinity are all spot on.
Flame has been in tank for a week.

jay0705

Good on lion. Yea flames need an established tank. They will feed on the live rock alage.

flower

Good on lion. Yea flames need an established tank. They will feed on the live rock alage.
+1 sorry for the loss...
Keeping a dwarf angel is hard the first year a tank is set up, they don't handle changes very well, and new tanks are all over the place until they mature a bit. Fish know when they don't feel well and hide in the rock, really digging in to hide from the CUC eaters that may start feeding before the poor fish is all the way dead...it's instinctive.

jay0705

Especially flames, a coral beauty usually acclimates easier. Flames and bi color are the 2 hardest

aduvall

Also flames are one of the few that occasionally have heart attacks.

Also it is my understandingthey are so popular some collectors use cyanide to knock them out before grabbing them.

jay0705

The Philippines is generally where its used. Its getting less frequent bc dealers dont want to buy fish its used on. There a species of flame from around the Hawaiian islands thats very colorful but generally a bit higher priced.

jay0705

It happens. General rule dont listen to the lfs. Most are trying to make a sale. I asked about hippo tangs sat. Told me more or less what I knew then tried to sell me one for 120 lol

Kristin1234

It happens. General rule dont listen to the lfs. Most are trying to make a sale. I asked about hippo tangs sat. Told me more or less what I knew then tried to sell me one for 120 lol
Funny! I saw a hippo tang too and he told me they had that one for over a year and I was like whaaaat? This hippo was only 1". He must've stunted with his growth or something. I told him I'd wait a bit.

Did you get him? Probably not with that price!

jay0705

Lol no it was about 10". I prefer to watch um grow. Also my tank isn't ready yet. I did get my ruby red tho lol

jay0705

Ha ha iam just setting it up. They need a big tank, length wise. Are they hard to keep? Ha ha welcome to my world lol. Short answer not if they were quarantined for a month or so. They are highly susceptible to ich. There also fairly high strung

silverado61

The Philippines is generally where its used. Its getting less frequent bc dealers dont want to buy fish its used on. There a species of flame from around the Hawaiian islands thats very colorful but generally a bit higher priced.
They're pushing hard to outlaw any harvesting of marine life in Hawaii.