Sump... sump... sump...

seecrabrun

Ahead of the game! Great!

The ten gallon will hold all the water but will be hard to service,... Is there a way to remove the middle shelf and brace it higher up?
That is indeed what I hope to do. The shelf helps with keeping the stand square, so it still needs to be in there, but I think it can be attached higher.

seecrabrun

I designed my own gravity fed ATO. I was thinking, does it need to go in the sump now instead of in the display? I know putting it there may be nice to removing the eye sore, but I'd have to modify it again to move it. I was thinking the tank constantly overflowing then the ATO may not work well, or would it still work?

snakeblitz33

The return section of the sump is what will show evaporation. You'll need to modify it and have it in the chamber with your pump.

seecrabrun

It uses a float valve. So when installing it what I want to do is set the overflow right at the surface height I want my tank, then fill the sump with all its equipment. Then add water to the height I want in the sump. Then put the ATO in and set it to that level?

snakeblitz33

No, you'll fill your tank and set up your overflow siphon. Then you will add saltwater to the sump up to the max height you want it to hold, giving an inch and a half or so from the top so that you know it won't overflow. Then you turn on your pump and let the water cycle. The water level in the return chamber of the sump will decrease. Once it has stabilized, add your float valve to that water level.

bang guy

Once you think you have the right levels do a power outage simulation to verify the sump doesn't overflow and that everything starts back up automatcally.

Last edited:

seecrabrun

OK Thanks!

I think I have all the ideas I need, now I just need to start collecting materials and build it.

I'll be back with more questions as I start putting it together. I expect to frustrate myself with it quite a bit.

beaslbob

OK Thanks!

I think I have all the ideas I need, now I just need to start collecting materials and build it.

I'll be back with more questions as I start putting it together. I expect to frustrate myself with it quite a bit.
don't we all. LOL