New 75g Reef Tank

silverado61

When I did my build I drilled the tank for overflows. I've never drilled glass before so I practiced on an old 55 that I knew leaked it a seam. I drilled 5 holes successfully. I thought "Cool. I got this." So I drilled three holes in my display. Good so far. So when it came time to fill the system up to check the plumbing, tank and sump. Great, no leaks. That's when I noticed that the tank I had practiced on, one of the holes had cracked. Badly. Talk about sweating bullets testing the display! But, its all good.

snakeblitz33

Yep. I'm drilling the glass before siliconing it up.

I was able to cut three and a half holes last night on one battery charge. Gonna do the last hole this morning and clean up the kitchen table. At least my wife hasnt fussed at me yet for the mess. Lol.

Silicone is supposed to be delivered today. I'm going to use some of it to put on the return pumps bottom so that it quiets down the pump vibrations. I want this tank to be very quiet.

snakeblitz33

I cut the last hole this morning and cleaned up some. My wife still hasn't complained. She knows it's all goin to get cleaned up sooner or later. Lol.

I tried installing the glass holes overflow this morning but it was at the wrong angle to do it right. That's fine though, I'll install it when I install the rest of the drain plumbing tomorrow.

This evening I am going to install the electrical work under the tank so that I don't have to get on my hands and knees to do it. The tank is off its stand and it will be easy to install everything right now underneath the tank.

I am disappointed that I had to call and report that company. I really wanted my skimmer really bad, but it shouldn't take that long to respond to a phone call or an email. I should have known better though. It was just an impulse buy.

I think I still want to test out an Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer on the system though, but I might just go skimmer less for the first five months anyways. Something better/affordable might come out by then.

eric b 125

That's a bummer about the skimmer man. Sorry that you might be getting burned on it. Hopefully everything will come out in the wash. I'm really happy with my Skimz. It's as silent as they get and it bubbles like mad.

snakeblitz33

It's now world class silicone skills. Lol!!! I Used a lot of excess silicone because I don't want to have to cut it out and do this again. Lol.

Going to work on the electrical tonight.

I'm considering setting up the fuge and water change system later on since it needs to be leveled and styro'd.

snakeblitz33

Thanks Trigger!

It's 7:30 and my wife went to bed. I am getting set up to work on the electrical system tonight. I'll take some pics of that setup too.

snakeblitz33

Got my apex jr. Installed. The monitor is set up on the wall next to the light switch. I got the temp probe plugged in but I forgot which outlets are which, so I have to plug it in to the computer and change things up.

I wish that I could afford the bus bar for the Apex ATO and the pH probe. We will just have to see. I would have liked to install them before I put the tank on the stand. Oh well, it's extra and unnecessary.

The silicone is set up pretty hard already. I think I'll give it overnight until I actually move the tank again.

This is what seems like the longest I have ever taken to set up a personal tank. Usually I'm just gun-HO about getting it done and getting water in it, but this time I'm taking my time and doing little projects that I always wished I had patience for, like the bean animal overflow.

I don't know when I will get water in the tank. Maybe start filling it some this weekend, I don't really know.

snakeblitz33

I live fish store in town charges something like $60-$65 for a 200g mix of instant ocean and I saw an Amazon deal where I can get IO reef crystals 200g mix for $65.04 with free two day shipping. So I ordered a box.

Gonna get some wedges cut and the stand leveled up today. Also gotta go by and get some additional plumbing supplies at the hardware store so I can finish the plumbing.

It's all comin together very nicely. I couldn't be happier.

silverado61

I live fish store in town charges something like $60-$65 for a 200g mix of instant ocean and I saw an Amazon deal where I can get IO reef crystals 200g mix for $65.04 with free two day shipping. So I ordered a box.

If you sign up for their emails and news letters you'll get a $10 rebate for reef salt about every two months. Use it in store or online.
That was me promoting someone else's product. Lol

eric b 125

It's nice to take time and do things right. I'm much happier with this system than I was with my last one and I think a big part of that was that I practice patience with this tank.

snakeblitz33

The drain box was pretty dry this morning so I went ahead and set the tank back on the stand.

I fit it close to the wall and it is great where it is at. I'm happy with that outcome.

I have to purchase a couple of adapters and I'll be well on my way to plumbing this thing tonight.

I'm still unsure if I want to plumb in the refugium or not.

snakeblitz33

My plumbing is mostly dry fit. I like where everything is except for the ball valve on the return. That ball valve will be going to the refugium.