Filtration for my 75 gallon long

I have a CPR Aeroforce protein skimmer good up to 75 gal, a whisper EX7 good up to 70 gal (340 gph), I have both a Maxi Jet 900 and 1200(900 / 1000gph///1200 / 1300 gph) which should I use? I also have a 24 watt Green Machine uv sterilizer good up to 100 gal(120gph), and although i was told it was junk I was thinking of buying a Seaclone 100 skimmer to help skim. I have everything but the Seaclone already. Is this enough for a 75 long as far as filtration and water flow?

snakeblitz33

I would opt for an eshoppes hang on back protein skimmer over a seaclone. Seaclones are crap and not worth the plastic they are made of.

A 75g tank needs at least 1000gph of internal flow, and it's not as easy to throw in the biggest powerhead and hope for the best.

I suggest reading some articles online and on here on aqua scape and water flow and check out articles on the Nitrogen cycle etc.

Thanks Snake. I also see you mentioned not to use a glass top. What kind of problems can that cause. I had friend of mine say they were good to use because it helps with evaporation.

snakeblitz33

It does cut down on evaporation, but it also inhibits oxygen exchange and causes carbonic acid build up because of excessive CO2 from the respiration of the animals within the tank. It basically lowers your pH, which is not good for the health of the inhabitants.

If you need a top, consider buying a sheet of egg crate which can be found at most hardware stores as a type of lighting diffuser.

pegasus

There's a place where you can buy mesh screen kits for tanks. I won't mention the name of the company, but it's initials are BRS. Just an option if you don't care for the looks of egg crate...

I don't plan on having any eels or anything like that, that may get out so I guess I will go without the glass top when I set it up.

silverado61

Some fish have a tendency to jump out of the water. We call them carpet divers. So you should consider some type of cover.

snakeblitz33

Glass tops decrease pH which is bad for tank inhabitants. That is the reason why we are recommending a mesh screen. There are also fish that commit sushi by jumping. When a fish cost $50-100, you don't want them jumping out.