Starting a 55 gallon tank

uscmizzy

I have decided to start a new 55 gallon fish only tank with maybe some live rock but unsure and want some input on certain things I might need or I can do? I had a freshwater tank before this and have all the equipment from that setup still available. My questions are:

1. Can I use the marineland HOB filters I currently have in a tank? I hope so since it won't be a super waste of money. I also have an air pump and heater that should be able to be used but what else would I need? Can I use the decorations and plants I had for the freshie?

2. What type of fish can I put in a 55 that won't be to big. My niece loves nemos as she calls them lol so I def want to get clownfish but not sure what else? I like the look of the blue reef chromis as well but not sure what all can be put in a 55 and what are compatible?

3. I plan to use live sand for the bottom and was thinking of doing live rock but not a ton just a little to help cycle if it is possible or do I have to put as much as I can to help?

This is my first post in a while and I am definitely a newbie to this so any and all help will be appreciated!! Thanks everyone!

jay0705

Your filters are fine, just use new cartridges. The heater also fine if its enough for a 55. Plants and decor, you can use it but generally its gona get covered in alage.
Live rock is your friend. I contribute quality live rock to alot of my success w sw. Now if cost is a factor get base rock and seed it w a few pounds of live rock. The base will turn live.
Fish, this is easy lol, clowns are all good, chromis are good but do tend to weed eachother off. Other ideas, dwarf angel, fire fish, royal gramma,striped blenny, smiths blenny, assortment of wrasse, pick only 1 lol ect

snakeblitz33

Is this for a FOWLR or what?

Marineland makes great hang on back filters. I have used them for years. Make sure you start fresh. Fresh filters and fresh carbon.

If your heater was rated for a 55g tank for freshwater, it should also be good for saltwater. Temperature stability is important in a saltwater tank.

An air pump is completely unnecessary in a saltwater system. I suggest looking into buying a variable speed powerhead like Jebao powerheads that are not too expensive and will give your tank enough water flow to stay healthy. Oxygenation and release of carbon dioxide is very important in a marine tank, so ditch the glass tops that are commonly used in freshwater systems. It's important because proper aeration and water flow will keep your pH stable around 8.2.

A calibrated hydrometer is an absolute must in this hobby, even if you buy your saltwater. A hydrometer is cheap and it will tell you your salinity quickly. If you want to spend the money, a refractometer is even better and more accurate. Salinity is the measure of the salt content of the water. To keep this stable, you only add purified water such as distilled water or RO/DI water to make up for evaporation. The reason you use purified water is because tap water commonly has chemicals in it that you don't want leaching into your system that can cause problems with algae and other non-desirable organisms. An option is to go to your local Walmart and buy water. Option two is for you to buy and maintain a RO/DI unit which is great also for cooking and drinking at home.

Freshwater plants and decor would look quite awkward in a marine system and I don't suggest it. Although it's up to your personal preference. I just don't expect to see foxtail or anubias nana next to a hermit crab and clownfish.

You can use a mix of live rock and base rock. For the beginner, I don't suggest using less than 50% live rock at the beginning. You will have algae problems that way if you stick the tank too quickly.

I won't tell you what fish to get. That just depends up to your personal preferences.

I also suggest reading some guides, asking some questions on the forum and read a book or two. Make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle and it's ins and outs.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

aduvall

Clown should be no problem in that size of tank. I have one in my 65 G. Jay's list is excellent. Dwarf Angels are great but I would suggest adding them last and waiting until your tank is established for a bit before putting one in.

Wrasses are fun and good looking fish, but they tend to jump, so watch out for that. Check out Bengaii or PJ Cardinals, also pretty cool.

Snake pretty much nailed the other stuff. Keep asking questions, and take your time. Nothing good happens quickly in a Saltwater tank.

uscmizzy

I appreciate all the replies everybody!! The information is definitely helpful and has given me some incite to what I'm looking to get into. I went and looked at power heads at my local LFS snake and saw a couple options so that's good. Unfortunately when I asked about base rock the guy looked at me like I was speaking an alien language. Is this something that might be easier to buy online? I have decided to do like you said snake and try to get close to 50/50 on base rock and live rock. Jay, aduvall and bang guy I like your ideas and looked at a flame angelfish and feel in love so definitely might have to get one of those if I can. Just looking around I have considered:

1 flame angelfish
2 o clowns
3 blue green chromis or blue reef chromis
1 cleaning crew

Is that to much or an ok amount? I also looked at a couple gobies and cardinal fish depending on numbers what not! Keep the ideas coming everybody I appreciate all the help! I'm moving so can't setup yet but I got so excited just thinking about it I went and clean the tank haha.

beaslbob

One thing I did on my old 55g was to cram in a 1/4 square plastic grid (egg crate) about 3" from the back glass and add 2 4 foot 2 tube utility fixtures (shop lights) behind the tank pointing forward.
Then grew macro algae like cheatomorphia and grape caulerpa in the space between the egg crate and back glass.
The macros and pods can thrive in that area and fish will enjoy eating what poke through the egg crate.

I basically formed a balanced eco system and nitrates dropped to un-measurable in 3 weeks and phosphates a few months later.

With that you don't need live sand or rocks. I used play sand from building supply stores and found some rocks from a local limestone quarry at a cost of $20/ton. It was late in the day so they just let me have a couple hundred pounds at no charge.

I also did no water changes, used untreated tap water and had a very heavy bioload for years and years.

Just my .02

Kristin1234

I appreciate all the replies everybody!! The information is definitely helpful and has given me some incite to what I'm looking to get into. I went and looked at power heads at my local LFS snake and saw a couple options so that's good. Unfortunately when I asked about base rock the guy looked at me like I was speaking an alien language. Is this something that might be easier to buy online? I have decided to do like you said snake and try to get close to 50/50 on base rock and live rock. Jay, aduvall and bang guy I like your ideas and looked at a flame angelfish and feel in love so definitely might have to get one of those if I can. Just looking around I have considered:

1 flame angelfish
2 o clowns
3 blue green chromis or blue reef chromis
1 cleaning crew

Is that to much or an ok amount? I also looked at a couple gobies and cardinal fish depending on numbers what not! Keep the ideas coming everybody I appreciate all the help! I'm moving so can't setup yet but I got so excited just thinking about it I went and clean the tank haha.
I suggest waiting on your flame angel. My tank has been up and running for about 2-3 months and my flame angel died after 1 week. He died bc my tank wasn't old enough and wasn't producing the algae that he needs for his diet. I offered seaweed salad and he just wasn't interested. My. 02.

aduvall

I suggest waiting on your flame angel. My tank has been up and running for about 2-3 months and my flame angel died after 1 week. He died bc my tank wasn't old enough and wasn't producing the algae that he needs for his diet. I offered seaweed salad and he just wasn't interested. My. 02.
I was going to say something very similar. I'd wait a few months (like 6-8) before adding a flame. Also, make sure that the fish are eating at the Store before you buy them.

Watch out on having 3 Chromis in a tank that size. They tend to pick each other off till only one remains (a lot like Highlander). Ask jay.

When you say 1 CUC what do you mean?

snakeblitz33

Aduvall, chromis are more than likely wild caught with cynide or a synthetic cynide and have health issues thereafter. It's not uncommon for chromis to die after being sold at the LFS.

aduvall

Aduvall, chromis are more than likely wild caught with cynide or a synthetic cynide and have health issues thereafter. It's not uncommon for chromis to die after being sold at the LFS.
^ Did not know that. I've heard that about flames, but never Chromis.

Mine didn't die immediately, they took about 5-6 months, I was a newb and didn't know what was going on. Now I'm fairly certain they were going after one another.

snakeblitz33

Stick around, I might teach yah a thing or two. I'm hoping to glean a good nugget of information from everyone on this site myself,... That's why I'm here.

uscmizzy

I do plan on adding the angelfish last but I am not sure which I should add first? Of course it will be a while before I do since I still have to get the live rock and get everything setup and running for a bit before I even consider fish. The powerheads I am currently look at are the marineland max jet 400 since it is a 3 in 1 system but I am also looking at the Aqueon circulation pumps. Thoughts on either or has anybody used them before?

jay0705

I was going to say something very similar. I'd wait a few months (like 6-8) before adding a flame. Also, make sure that the fish are eating at the Store before you buy them.

Watch out on having 3 Chromis in a tank that size. They tend to pick each other off till only one remains (a lot like Highlander). Ask jay.

When you say 1 CUC what do you mean?
Ha ha dam chromis. Snake makes a good point. I have tried them more than once w no luck. Now the one I have left is going strong but still lol

pegasus

I do plan on adding the angelfish last but I am not sure which I should add first? Of course it will be a while before I do since I still have to get the live rock and get everything setup and running for a bit before I even consider fish. The powerheads I am currently look at are the marineland max jet 400 since it is a 3 in 1 system but I am also looking at the Aqueon circulation pumps. Thoughts on either or has anybody used them before?
It won't matter which order you stock the other fish on your list. They will eat what you feed them, so they will be okay in a fairy new cycled system. The angel needs to wait only to allow some algae to grow on the rocks so it can supplement it's diet with it. Just add these fish slowly. Clowns and chromis are hardy, so it won't matter which comes first. I would probably start with a couple of small clowns to jump start the biosystem, and wait a month. This will allow the system to build the beneficial bacteria population to handle those fish. If you want to add a few chromis later, get a few small ones. The smaller the better, as this will put the least amount of strain on the system. You never want to overload the biosystem, as this can and will lead to serious problems. The reason I suggest several small chromis at once instead of one at a time is because of territorial disputes. You stand a better chance of co-existence if all are introduced at the same time. Otherwise, you may end up with one chromis left... the first one.

I just ordered a pair of Jebao RW-8 powerheads. I've had a twin set of WP-10 for about a year, and I really like them. They aren't super expensive (RW-8 $168 on ebay), and they move a lot of water. They come with a wavemaker controller(s), and the speed/flow is very adjustable. They'll be here tomorrow, so I can give a quick review if anyone is interested in them.

uscmizzy

Thanks for the info Pegasus! Right now in considering adding the clowns first then 3 chromis at the same time like you have stated then after a couple months add the angelfish. Please post a review of the powerheads and let me know since I am currently in the market!

beaslbob

excuse my interruption but it would seem to me that the in tank refugium I described earlier would provide all the macro/algae an angel would need. Sure provided macros to my tangs anyway.

Just a thought

worth at most .02

jay0705

Mr bob the macro king! Lol true on the food side, but angels seem to do better in a mature/ stable tank.
Just my .02 tho