Brittle star question

honu808

i have a 93 gal cube with corner overflow. About 2 months ago my large brittle star has set up residence behind the baffle in the overflow. Its a plate with groves in it that is suppose to circulation water from the bottom of tank up and over into the corner overflow. I have removed it several times to let her out but she always goes back.
My question is; is this normal and will she get enough food etc .?

silverado61

That's why she's there. All wasted food has to pass by her to get to the sump. Theyre also filter feeders and very smart animals for not having any eyes. You need to cover it so she can't get back in and end up in your sump. She'll still hang around there after you cover it searching for food.

honu808

That's why she's there. All wasted food has to pass by her to get to the sump. Theyre also filter feeders and very smart animals for not having any eyes. You need to cover it so she can't get back in and end up in your sump. She'll still hang around there after you cover it searching for food.
If you say cover it, i might as well just take it off then right?

silverado61

Can you post a pic of your overflow situation? There are many different styles and I keep picturing my style.

honu808

I cant post a pic. My overflow is an arch on the back left side. There is like a door that can slide up and off. It has grrovesin the bottom area to create a flow from lower level of tank. There is about a 1/2" of space between that "door" and the actual over flow wall. If i remove that door the water going into the overflow will only be from the top surgace water. Shoot, im not even convinced that the door even creates water movement from the bottom of tank area. Thanks for your help.

silverado61

I can see the tenticles poking out. lol Persistent little bugger isn't it? Is there any way to get to the overflow bulkhead and put an intake strainer on it to keep her getting into the bulkhead and going down into the sump?

honu808

i dont know if she will go over the overflow wall and then get into the dorso.

Last edited:

honu808

Funny note; I just fed some floating pellets and as i was walking upstairs i see the brittle star had crawled up the inside of that overflow door and was actually trying to get into the overflow because of the pellets. I took the door off and removed her yet again, placing her on the fat side of the tank. Haha

pegasus

Brittle stars are like octopi... they can get into the tiniest of spaces. The ability to get to food and detritus in tight crooks and crannies is why they are so desirable in the home aquaria. I would just close the door at the bottom of the overflow and be done with it. Most overflows are designed to take water in from the top because this helps to remove surface film that can inhibit oxygen exchange.