Shaping base rock

pegasus

Anyone use a grinder or bandsaw?
If it's porous rock, you can even cut it with a hacksaw. I've done it that way plenty of times, and each time I was wishing I had a bandsaw... lol! If I had a bandsaw, I would have created a lot of "shelf rock". Too much work for big pieces and a hacksaw... *sigh*.

snakeblitz33

I have a band saw I can use. I just was thinking of some tools I can use.

I'm thinking about making an order from Marco Rocks soon. I've heard people having phosphate issues with their rocks though.

Ok,... Band saw, chisel, hammers, masonry drill bits,... Anything else?

Saws all,... Hatchet, hmm,...

I just need to make a few custom pieces of shelf rock and a sure fire way to support it.

pegasus

Should look good! Don't forget to include jack hammer and chainsaw in your arsenal... lol!!!

snakeblitz33

I got a chain saw, but I might have to rent the jackhammer. Lol.

i got so many tools man, whatever I want to build, I can do it. Being in taxidermy, we tend to DIY a lot of stuff and require a lot of tools to work our magic.

For example: this went home a month or so ago.

pegasus

Sweet! I have a few friends in taxidermy, and I know it takes some skills to put a scene like that together. Most people don't have a clue what it takes to mount animals like that...

snakeblitz33

That's cool. Seems like there is a taxidermist on every corner these days. Fifteen years ago it wasn't as common of a profession, and as my dad tells me, even more rare in the 70s and 80s.

I sometimes go online to look at bad taxidermy. There are some real screw ups. Lol

pegasus

That's cool. Seems like there is a taxidermist on every corner these days. Fifteen years ago it wasn't as common of a profession, and as my dad tells me, even more rare in the 70s and 80s.

I sometimes go online to look at bad taxidermy. There are some real screw ups. Lol
In the early days, hides were used as clothing or bartering tools! Antlers were nailed to the shed. Everything else was eaten. No need for taxidermy. Then someone came along and decided, "Man... that skunk would look great in my living room, but how can I put it there without the wife pitching a bitch fit?" Thus the creation of taxidermy... lol!!!

Bad taxidermy? Hmm... where do you think the jackalope came from?