my new fish.

trigger40

update:

the fish are done going through their hypo treatment and are getting ready to go in the tank in about two weeks.
i raised the salinity about 2 ppt right befor lights out yesterday. i can tell the powder blue tang is stressed out because it is acting very aggressive and it is darting around the tank. it is still eating the veggie sheets and mysis so i think this will pass but i think i rased the salinity too fast. does anybody have experience with raising salinity to do the least amount of strees to my fish?

but any way the tang put on a lot of weight and im really happy about that. here are some pics:
IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

the eibli angel is doing great too and has become a pig(sorry my photo quality isnt very good)
IMG_0174.jpg

pegasus

If you have a couple of weeks before they go into the DT, I'd spread the salinity increase over the course of 10 days or so. Not sure how how much higher it needs to go, but I would think 10+ days would be plenty enough time to slowly increase it with minimal stress. 2ppt seems like an awfully large increase in one day. You can lower it that fast without any issues, but you must raise it terribly slow. Better safe than sorry...

kopczynski

Probably due to the small qt tank, they like to swim a lot. Thats why its generally better to use tank length over gallons with tangs.

trigger40

i dont know if its the small qt, the tang doesnt really swim fast at all. when it is acting normal it spends its day on a slow patrol over the decor picking at it. but i do think a bigger tank would help. do you think doing top offs with salty water is a good idea to raise the salinity?

kopczynski

With fish and almost any organism combating a disease, rapid change isnt beneficial. Better off raising it slowly so it has a strong recovery and lessens the chance of the disease re occurring.

trigger40

lol that makes sence. but how long do you need to let a tank fallow to get rid of ich? because keeping all these fish in small qt tanks for a month and a half looks to be doing more harm than good. my tang has been acting weird for two days and it is really starting to worry me.