Ich question

bang guy

3 - 4 weeks depending on temperature. The warmer the water the faster it will starve out.

If Beth says something different I recommend listening to her and not me.

trigger40

the water temp is 78, I don't know if that is saying anything. but the tank has been empty for 6 weeks.

bang guy

Let Beth chime in as she's a bit smarter. But IMO your tank is Ick free now. Are the fish you're going to put in it ick free?

trigger40

yes they are all ich free and I am currently raising the salinity after their hypo treatment. my powder blue tang is getting stressed from the salinity changes and it has me a little worried. I could use some advise on how to raise the salinity. I was doing top offs with salty water but it still seems to be a little much on the tang.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
3-4 weeks after last sighting of visible ich is completely gone. Do not stress the fish with increase in salinity. The trip upward in salinity must be taken quite a bit slower than bringing the water down in salinity. If there is any stress, stop the change-outs for that day and start again slower the next day as long as all is well with the fish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, evap and replace with display levels salinity can do that very well and safely but depending on evaporation rate, that could take longer than necessary. Evaps in QT can be pretty slow compared to the evap in a well lighted reef tank.

If fish are in QT, then use the water from the display tank to bring up the salinity.

trigger40

my qt has a good amount of evap. i think if i stick to using dt water to top off the qt i will be done in about a week.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
my qt has a good amount of evap. i think if i stick to using dt water to top off the qt i will be done in about a week.
And a week would be prefect for the transition! I will have to remember suggesting that technique which is really safest. Thanks, Guy!