Dwarf lion fish won't eat.

trigger40

A MONTH?
This little guy would shrivel up, I'm afraid! I'm telling you, he is TINY! No bigger than my thumb.
lion fish have the ability lay dormant when they dont get enough food. so they can just lay around for over a month and haft to eat.

1guydude

I have that same dwarf. It took months for it to feed. Prob ate pods and watever at night. Now he eats with everyone else. Mines the size of my thumb but deff growing since eating.
Hths
D

1guydude

B patient and try and feed the tank and give Em some privacy. If he does start to eat live food. U can mix the frozen and hopefully that will help. Tetras r cheap I tink. Hths
D

Bryce E

Stupud question :

When you say put the ghost in a 5 gallon bucket, must it be sw or can I just put them in fw? They will die in fw, right? I will have to get some water from them too if that's the case. I can never seem to mix my own properly. Add a small pump in there too or no?
Kristin,

Your tank is 100 gallons but you don't mix your own saltwater? What problems have you had with it making it? Matching the salinity? Also what are you using for freshwater to top off your system?

Kristin1234

Kristin,

Your tank is 100 gallons but you don't mix your own saltwater? What problems have you had with it making it? Matching the salinity? Also what are you using for freshwater to top off your system?
I just don't trust that I'm doing it properly. I do use fresh water for top off, I just buy my salt water by the 5 gallons from my lfs. I have a huge tub of salt for the water, I just can never get the salinity right.

Kristin1234

B patient and try and feed the tank and give Em some privacy. If he does start to eat live food. U can mix the frozen and hopefully that will help. Tetras r cheap I tink. Hths
D

He eats like a boss now. I've even caught him eating the mysis! He is doing great!

Kristin1234

Kristin,

Oh. I use Amquel and another nuetrilizer. Can't remember the name. Will get back with you on that. I have a well and my water has been tested.

Bryce E

Well if you'd like to give it a go there's nothing to it. (Except make your life easier and cost you less money in the long run) The first thing you're going to want is an RO/DI unit to remove the heavy metals etc from your water. Then you just put in a 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of fresh water and stir it around really good. Put a power head and heater into your mixing container and let it run for 24 hours just to make sure everything is completely dissolved (the exact measurement of salt will depend upon the brand of salt you use as well as the specific gravity you are trying to achieve but this will be right around 1.023) the really nice thing about this is that you can easily match the current salinity of your tank as well as the exact temperature of your tank so that the water change has no stressful effect on the inhabitants. And if you're having trouble with finding out how many gallons are in your container then you can clean out a one gallon milk jug really well and fill it up with water, pour it in your container and use a sharpie to make a line on the outside of your container for every gallon you add (or for every 3 gallons you add if it's a large container etc.) Just so that you know exactly how much to fill your container with fresh water before you add your salt.

Kristin1234

Well. Came home last night and the dwarf was dead and stuck to one of my powerheads. I noticed a small wound on his body a couple of days ago and I'm wondering if my larger cardinal nipped him. I only say this bc the larger cardinal is always stealing the ghost shrimp and they have charged each other twice that I have seen. Sucks, man.