Peppermint shrimp

Bryce E

So I have a couple of glass anemones that I want to get rid of so I got a peppermint shrimp. I've only ever had them in fish only or critter tanks. I didn't even think about the possible risk of him going after my coral. I have a Green Goniopora in the tank that I just added the peppermint to. They are listed as reef safe but has anyone here ever had them eat more than aiptasia? I'd hate to wake up in the morning to find him eating on stuff he shouldn't. I'm sure the odds are low as they aren't even listed as "caution" on the major sites. I was just wondering what peoples personal experiences have been with this. Thanks.

snakeblitz33

Caution comes from misidentification at the retailer or wholesaler. Occasionally camelback shrimp are sold as peppermint shrimp and can wreak havoc on corals.

If it's really a peppermint (98% possible), it will eat the aiptasia and any leftover food stuffs.

silverado61

If it's a true peppermint shrimp, I have two in case I ever get aiptasia I'm ready. Mine crawl all over my corals but all they ever do is steal food or clean them looking for food which in my opinion is a side benefit to having them. The cleaning part I mean.

bang guy

I have heard of real Peppermint Shrimp damaging corals. There are 5 or so species of Cleaner Shrimp commonly called Peppermint Shrimp. Lysmata wurdemanni are the ones you want. Personally, I've had many, many L. wurdemanni in my reef and never had an issue. I do believe it happens though, especially with LPS that have just fed.

silverado61

That's why I said true peppermint shrimp. They have a deffinate distinction about them. The white stripping along the carapace are much thinner and have at least twice as many strips as other "peppermint" shrimp. Which I believe are all camelback shrimp.

Bryce E

yeah the peppermint and camel backs are very similar looking huh? I'm going to look up the exact ways to distinguish the different species as well as keep a close eye on mine either way.

silverado61

Camelback's have a much more pronounced hump and the strips are wider and tend to wrap around the body as apposed to the peppermint who's strips are much thinner, in greater numbers and run alongside the body running from front to back.

pegasus

My peps have never bothered any corals. After my pair decimated the aiptasia in my fuge, I moved them into the DT. Never had a problem with any previous peps, nor the pair I have now. I have more trouble from my skunk cleaners, as they're always stealing food out of my paly's mouths...