swdummie

flower

There is no way if its a big diff in salinity it wouldn't be an issue. Temp acclimate alone is not sufficient
LOL...I didn't trust it either, but my seahorse was just fine. It's an old, old argument about just how to acclimate our critters. Some use the drip method, others float the bag and release, and others...like myself,
after floating for temp acclimation ...float the bag and remove the bag water, replacing it with tank water, every 15 to 20 minutes for an hour...starfish and shrimp for more like 2 hours.

However that isn't the problem for our new member... the tank not being properly cycled, and adding more then one fish at a time are much bigger issues.

snakeblitz33

I personally like to take my inverts and corals and float them in the bag for 15 minutes and then I take a knife and poke a hole in the side of the bag once every 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the critter. For fish, I drip acclimate because I don't want the bag water in my display.

flower

Adding to jay's: Even when you get them from the lfs and they share the same community water system?
I totally agree! If the invert has been in a tank with fish at the LFS, then the water could carry parasites that although they are immune, would infect your tank and endanger your fish. That's why so many insist to quarantine EVERYTHING..

snakeblitz33

Lol. To each their own. I don't have room for a quarantine, nor the motivation or money to maintain one. It's a risk, but hey- I've only had two fish die from ich in nine years, so I'm doing pretty good.

Here are what I would do 1). Go buy another fish from the same LFS 2). Put the bag into the tank for 15 minutes 3). Check the bag salinity 4). If salinity is close enough, put the fish into the tank, if not do the full hour acclimation

I brought three fish from ***** three weeks ago, their salinity is 1.023 and mind 1.0235. My two cents

flower

I've never seen a good LFS that shares water between fish & inverts. If they did I wouldn't shop there.
The store by me does, and the one in Lake Geneva where I used to live did as well. I have also seen stores use those little chambers...in one will be fish and the others inverts, but there were not separate...it was just a long tank with holes in dividers.

Personally, I usually buy online, I like the guarantee.

swdummie

Had another dead fish this morning, really getting old. My salinity is 1.023 ph 8.2 amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate is a little high