New 100 gallon rimless build

drm100

If you think you have Cirolanid isopods, be sure to check out the pictures of the Sphaeromatid isopods in this article. They are commonly mistaken for Cirolanid isopods when people first discover them in their aquariums, but Sphaeromatids are beneficial scavengers that should remain in your tank. You can quickly check to see if your isopods are Sphaeromatids by isolating one of them and seeing if it can roll up into a ball. Sphaeromatids can do this while most other isopods, including Cirolanids, cannot. (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php)
I have a rock that has three small clams on it. They are the same color as the rock, and they are all in small holes in the rock. When frightened, they clam up (literally) and retract slightly into the holes.
Lol I was just reading that article, and that's what they are. There's a hole in one of the rocks I've been looking at for a week now with something in there that looks like a larva, the back end looks just like one of those bugs, the half inch size. I think I'll check that out.

drm100

Ok it's a big one lol, I nudged it out of the hole, little ones came out also, and my sister with the net missed lmao, hunting tonite. Half inch long, kinda freaky lol.

pegasus

If you catch a big one, post a picture of it. I've never seen one in person, and a lot of the pictures I've seen look very similar to amphipods. That's something I love to see when I'm snooping around the tank after dark...

drm100

Thing flipped over looked at me and took off lol. Three or four small ones swam out as I was prodding the thing out of the hole. I was trying to be gentle because I didn't know for sure what it was.

drm100

Sorry I have not updated but life has a way of getting in the way of things :). Tank is doing great (still have not bought a fish for it yet though lol) but at least I know it's ready for them. I finally got my qt up and running last week

so fish are coming in March, yay, I also upgraded my 20g fuge to a 40 long acrylic

A lfs was retireing and i picked that up for 25 bucks. That huge ball of chaeto was fist sized 8 months ago, now its a couple of basketballs lol, i have hundereds of thousands of pods in there and on the sand and everywhere, one good thing for waiting i guess. Also moved my skimmer and my new dual gfo/carbon reactor into their new 33g tub, so much easier then messing around in my stand.

That asm g2 skimmer in there just blew up last week so today my new skimmer finally got here, a skimz monster dc skimmer which is now being broken in and is dead silent.

Also replaced my return pump which was so noisy with a sicce syncra 5.0 and that's running perfect and silent thank God. So as of now I'm just waiting for payday to go fish shopping lol, FINALLY!

mauler

That's a nice setup everything is so clean let's see how long that lasts. What fish are you looking at?

drm100

Not sure yet, been looking for a couple weeks trying to decide. Pair of clowns first i know, ive got 2 bubble tip nems that came with my rock already in the tank that are doing great, but i want a bigger one so thats on the list also. Getting my cal reactor next month i hope so im holding off on corals till thats in place. I do have a goby already in the tank, he came in the bag of sand lol, and he's fat and happy but lonely.

mauler

Where'd you get your rock and sand I wish mine came with all that. Wow I'm sure I'll ever get my tank that clean again. But come it's a 100g tank you've to go with something bigger than a pair of clowns

drm100

got my rock and sand from tampa bay saltwater. Ya i just have to pick the other fish i want in there. I know i'm getting a flame angel but it's going in last, manderin for sure but i'd like to wait till i can get a bonded pair (have so many pods i'm not worried about that). Just taking my time with my choices :)

mandy111

Beautiful & well planned build. I think it's always easier the second time around Looking forward to following this one. Impressive. !

drm100

payday is 4 days away that means so are the fish lol. Hurry up! Next on the list hopefully this month a cal reactor, should be the last big ticket item i need unless we have a hot summer here then i'll need a chiller, but one thing at a time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent progress and I agree 1000% with Pegasus. Your meticulousness and patience will pay off for you with great satisfaction and accomplishment with this setup. Great job!

Did you acclimate the cutie in the tank? ;)

pegasus

Excellent progress and I agree 1001% with Beth. :p Your meticulousness and patience will pay off for you with great satisfaction and accomplishment with this setup. Great job!

Looking forward to what next week brings!!!

pegasus

got my rock and sand from tampa bay saltwater. Ya i just have to pick the other fish i want in there. I know i'm getting a flame angel but it's going in last, manderin for sure but i'd like to wait till i can get a bonded pair (have so many pods i'm not worried about that). Just taking my time with my choices :)
You shouldn't have any trouble with a male and female bonding if they are the only mandarins in the tank. It seems that most people agree that you'll have better luck if you add the male last. A bonded pair isn't the only choice, but it will be the best choice. I added a female months after my male had been in the tank, and they hooked up quickly. Unfortunately, the female was too busy following the male around that she didn't seem interested in eating... at all. Even though my tank and refugium were packed with live pods, and they spawn danced every night, she ended up starving to death. Love kills...