Yellow tang and a Long nosed butterfly

Which will get bigger

• Yellow Tang

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Long nosed butterfly

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's impressive you were able to keep it alive. How long did you have it?
Maybe 8 or 9 months. She was hard to feed, I could only feed her brine because my mysis were too big for her mouth. Or she ate baby mysis. She died of ich. I have videos on youtube when I was younger. Oh dont harass me about the overstocking the tank. I had no idea about how overstocked my tank was. This was my tank before the 125 g. This was when none of my fish were agressive. Heres the link

Last edited:

bang guy

I'm still impressed. They usually don't make it past 3 months.

Question for the group - has anyone kept a long-nose longer than a year?

bang guy

In my opinion it's primarily their docile nature. They live in fear in the typical aquarium and don't get over it. That makes them very vulnerable to injury and disease. Secondary, it's related to feeding but more like nutrition.

jay0705

Ah ok, gotcha.
Its an issue w alot of fish I think. Adjusting to aquarium life from the ocean. My purple fire has been in my tank a yr, there's days hes out all day then others only a quick dart out for food.

trigger40

In my opinion it's primarily their docile nature. They live in fear in the typical aquarium and don't get over it. That makes them very vulnerable to injury and disease. Secondary, it's related to feeding but more like nutrition.
dont they use chemicals to catch them in the wild. i heard this talking to people at my lfs.

bang guy

Cyanide was used for decades to catch ornamental fish. The effects are obvious enough that the distributors no longer accept fish caught this way. I would be doubtful if many fish are still caught this way. Not impossible, but improbable.

trigger40

well i was told these practises are still legal in the philippines wher most of these butterfly fish are caught. i havent spent any time looking into this its just something i heard at my lfs and maybe there is some truth to this.

bang guy

It is still legal in the Philippines to use cyanide to catch fish. The distributors in the US just won't buy them.