Maintenance routines

mandy111

Googled it but can't find any info on diet. I am assuming by you haha it's probably lps corals. Right ?

mandy111

Yup I do have a Lot. And I actually like to keep it that way. Lol. I've often wondered, corals sting each other to defend territory , the eat & some move around. I wonder if it hurts them when the get eaten ? Do the actually feel things.? I am not saying intelligent as such but would death be yukky for them ???

Saltyskimmer

forgot to say, if you start blowing off rocks and haven't done it before, you will be amazed at the amount of crap flying around, so i suggest you do it just before a water change to help remove some of it, Once you do it regularly and there isn't so much crap floating around then a water change is not necessary. hence i now do it weekly. but water changes only every 21 days.
Mandy, now your bringing up something else I read about having crap float all over. I read somewhere that you should stir up your sand bed. To me that makes sense (especially considering the crap I see in the sand). Is this something you do as well?

Saltyskimmer

mandy111

Mandy, now your bringing up something else I read about having crap float all over. I read somewhere that you should stir up your sand bed. To me that makes sense (especially considering the crap I see in the sand). Is this something you do as well?

Saltyskimmer
If u have a deep sand bed be very very careful, only rake or turkey baste the top 1cm as it may release some harmful gasses & pockets that could be dangerous to the tank. If it's a new sand bed then its ok to do. I only have a shallow sand bed so I do rake completely over once a week. We actually vacumm it every few months too. But we have done this from set up so no dangerous pockets have been able to form

pegasus

If you want your sand bed to be constantly turned over so nothing accumulates in/on it, get one or two engineer gobies. In fact, if you'll pay for overnight shipping, I'll send you a pair of 9" engineers...

mandy111

If you want your sand bed to be constantly turned over so nothing accumulates in/on it, get one or two engineer gobies. In fact, if you'll pay for overnight shipping, I'll send you a pair of 9" engineers...
I don't know much about them personally, but don't they make a complete mess with sand and some times manage to bring down whole scapes rocks and all ?

pegasus

I don't know much about them personally, but don't they make a complete mess with sand and some times manage to bring down whole scapes rocks and all ?
Yes, they create a new landscape nearly every day... lol! They can wreck your rock scapes unless you have the rocks completely on the bottom of the tank. That's one of the reasons most will recommend putting the rocks into the tank first, and then adding sand. Don't build your house on shifting sand kind of thing...

MegIsAwesome06

Wow. I'm overwhelmed by all the maintenance. Not in the sense that I do t want to do it, I guess I just don't know where to start. I test the ph daily. I guess it's time for my first water change. Any tips? Also, how does one blow the rocks. I've heard that a few times and it's probably something I need to be doing.

lmforbis

I use my power head to blow off the rocks. I didn't do it very often in the past lately I have been doing it pretty much every time I do water changes.
I test my tank the day after I do a water change and dose as needed. Mine is fairly stable so I don't have to, initially I did a lot more testing.
I change 10 gallons of water every week (my tank is 125 gallons) approx. 10% of the volume.
I have a sump so the first time I did a water change I turned off the return pump and let the water drain back into the sump then used a permanent marker and marked the level on the glass. I Siphon off ~10 gallons of water and marked that level. Now every time I siphon to the same mark and stop filling at the first mark. Takes the guess work out of it. Once the water change is done I mix up the water for the next one. That way it is ready to go. I spend maybe a half hour every week on water changes. Other wise a few minutes every day on little things.
I have a gravity fed auto top off so I don't have to top off the tank every day.
I scrape off the glass as needed every other day or so.
Every two weeks I change the carbon and every 4 weeks I change the granular ferric oxide (GFO).
I do keep a log book. Just a small bound note book that I write everything I do in it. All test results and all maintenance I do. If I dose anything and how much. This helps me see trends and just remember what needs to be done.
My maintenance routine is not that bad.

pegasus

If you don't have a power head that you can move around the tank (it happens), you can use a turkey baster to blast the rocks. ;)

Yes, a log book comes in handy, even if you aren't dosing supplements. I once tried logging all this stuff in my head... it didn't work out too good. I succeeded in getting a really bad headache, and dirty water. :eek:

MegIsAwesome06

I would think the power head would blow the sand everywhere. I mean, everywhere you don't want it. I have a turkey baster and I know how to use it!

jay0705

U want the current to clear the top of the sand not stir it. After a little time the sand will get stiffer and harder to just blow away. I use a golden sleeper headed goby tho. Does wonderful sand bed maintenance lol