Latest ammunition ban

snakeblitz33

I usually don't like to make political posts because there can be so many opinions and everyone thinks they are right...

Today BATFE along with the Obama Administration has put together a proposed executive action that bans the sale of standard 5.56mm (.223) ammunition that is used in most AR15 platforms that have been sold publically for years. Along with the green tip "armor piercing" bullets, the proposed ban includes ALL standard .223 caliber ammunition used in these guns to never be sold again to the public. The only people allowed to buy this particular ammunition is the Federal Government.

Now, I have a big problem with this. I always said that if they can't win by banning guns, they would ban the ammunition - and that's exactly what this proposed executive action would do - and open the door for more ammunition bans in different calibers. One article mentioned common .308 ammunition would be included because some AR platforms use that caliber too.

Thoughts... opinions.... outrage?

jay0705

This is total bull shit! .223 is a much cheaper round then say 22-250. Its an excellent varmit round. AR's also shoot 22 ammo. Wana ban those too!?!?. We elect idiots, thank god this is his last term.
you have terrorists say hit malls, airports, ect yet lets limit how we can defend ourselves!!!!! Idiots!!!!
Notice they never target texas... Ny, Minnesota, Canada. All states/country's w extreme gun laws. I wonder why? Hmmm? Oh yea bc why go where they could possibly defend themselves. The dam mall of America has rt on there doors this is a gun free zone! Yea bc the bastards that wana kill u give a F about that!!!! Yet u shoot them and you can be dam sure your screwed bc its a gun free zone!!!!!

trigger40

i forget what country it is in the middle east that actualy requiers their people to own guns. there is almost no crime in that country because every one has a gun, why would rob someone that has a gun?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
i forget what country it is in the middle east that actualy requiers their people to own guns. there is almost no crime in that country because every one has a gun, why would rob someone that has a gun?
Not the middle east, but Switzerland.

I believe we have one city/state to allow people carrying gun, it also have lowest crime. The problem is either no gun at all or allow carry gun for all.

snakeblitz33

Louisiana is one of the open carry states. Anyone with a gun can legally carry one on their hip as long as it is in the open. Most Louisianians have concealed carry handguns - but that hasn't done much to prevent crime in certain ethnic neighborhoods. I personally love firearms and will do my part to be able to keep my guns and be able to carry them. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens doesn't protect them, it leaves them vulnerable to criminals who still have guns. Just take a look at Austrailia after they banned guns... they never had to define exactly what a "home invasion" was before...

jay0705

I totally agree w snake. Criminals don't care if its legal to carry or not they will still be packing.we however we be caught w our pants down! And empty when they rob us!

darthtang aw

It isn't the .223 round. It is the 5.56M885 round. Due to the capability of making ar pistols now, this round is a soft armor piercing round. The law bans armor piercing rounds for handguns. This is a loop hole that is "being closed" by this executive action.

It won't last through the courts. Hold off a year on all 5.56 purchases and don't over pay for what is on the shelf. Of course the nuts will flood the stores buying up everything they can thinking they won't be available anymore. Congress will have to pass a law to get this accomplished permanently. Even if the courts hold it up, which I doubt, as an executive action it can be overturned easily enough by the next president.

snakeblitz33

I agree Darth, It's going to be overturned one way or another. Yes, it is just the 5.56mm "green tip" rounds. If it goes through and does become a law though, it would leave it open to banning other types of ammunition in the same category. Plus, have you seen an AR pistol? I don't think most criminals will be carrying one of those around as part of their every day carry.

Darth, Are you quite so sure that the next President will undo unlawful executive actions of the former President?

pegasus

Dang... that picture I put up to win the trigger "fish" contest is the trigger that makes a 5.56 go boom. Obama was blocked from allowing the UN to impose international gun laws on America, so what will he try next if and when this fails? Look where he came from... Chicago... the most bullet riddled "gun free" city in the nation. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that policy isn't working. DUH!!!

The Japanese didn't try to invade America during WWII. Why? "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

He wasn't referring to the US military in that statement. He was talking about the armed citizens, which has been a deterrent to our enemies since the war of 1812. Sorry if this offends anyone, but you can't fix stupid...

jay0705

Dang... that picture I put up to win the trigger "fish" contest is the trigger that makes a 5.56 go boom. Obama was blocked from allowing the UN to impose international gun laws on America, so what will he try next if and when this fails? Look where he came from... Chicago... the most bullet riddled "gun free" city in the nation. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that policy isn't working. DUH!!!

The Japanese didn't try to invade America during WWII. Why? "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

He wasn't referring to the US military in that statement. He was talking about the armed citizens, which has been a deterrent to our enemies since the war of 1812. Sorry if this offends anyone, but you can't fix stupid...
Amen brother

pegasus

Amen brother
Bill of Rights: Article the fourth... A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It does NOT say the right of the "Militia" in the last part of that Article... it said THE PEOPLE. That's us, folks. Citizens of the USA. You can try to spin it any way you want, but our forefathers knew this day would come, and that's why they wrote it so it couldn't be misconstrued. No president will ever have the power to change what has been written in that bill. Many will try, but many will fail. I one does succeed, we can all bend over, stick our heads between our knees, and kiss our asses goodbye. America will be completely and utterly destroyed. Why can't politicians be like they were in the old days? Oh yeah... money and power corrupts. If they had to do their terms and go back to work in the private sector like in the old days, instead of giving themselves lifetime pensions for doing nothing, things would be a lot different. I wish we could wipe the slate clean and start all over. Fire the whole gang, and put new faces in every office. Tell them to do their best, or their fired. That's how it used to be, and it worked pretty darn good...

jay0705

Politics is just that politics. Its not about the people, its about riding what ev the hot trend is and screw who ever disagrees. The simple fact is law abiding citizens get screwed by these rules, yet criminals still have there guns, ammo, and prob god dam missile launchers for that matter. So go ahead ban this ban that, I look fwd to the day I see on tv this senator, or congress person was killed while shopping at there local mall. If only there was an armed legally abiding citizen there to intervene! Oh wait thats rt this is a gun free zone!!!

pegasus

Politics is just that politics. Its not about the people, its about riding what ev the hot trend is and screw who ever disagrees. The simple fact is law abiding citizens get screwed by these rules, yet criminals still have there guns, ammo, and prob god dam missile launchers for that matter. So go ahead ban this ban that, I look fwd to the day I see on tv this senator, or congress person was killed while shopping at there local mall. If only there was an armed legally abiding citizen there to intervene! Oh wait thats rt this is a gun free zone!!!
Ever hear of anyone trying to rob a police station? Why not? They have all kinds of goodies in those places! Guns, drugs, money, you name it... they probably have it. Why don't they get hit every once in awhile? Oh yeah... everyone in those places is carrying a loaded gun. Pretty easy to connect the dots on that one... just saying.

darthtang aw

I need to correct my earlier statement. This was NOT an executive decision. This was a determination by ATF. Those rounds were exempted from a law passed in 1986 by the ATF because the rounds were not used in pistols. Now they can be used in pists that are higher than single shot capacity. ATF started looking at this back in 2012. So this has been in the works for a whe now. And technically it isnt a new restriction on the ammunition. It is a reclassification that can be blamed on the gun manufacturers and the public. The law has been in place since 1986. Wouldn't be an issue if a pistol was not created and sold to the general public.

Can't blame a liberal for this. Sorry guys, Reagan signed that law. ATF JUST EXEMPTED THE ROUND until now.