New 75g Reef Tank

mandy111

That skiimmer looks like a beast, the cycle seems to be going well, its very exciting when things move along nicely, except of course the algae for the next 6 months. lol
Will be following this one too !

snakeblitz33

thanks Mandy,

Things are coming along nicely. I just got my GFO in the mail today and put it in the system. according to the directions, it requires 8floz per 50g of water. Since I have roughly 75g of water that is habitable at the moment, I added 12floz to the reactor and adjusted it to a slow tumble. Unfortunately, the bad tipped over and a little spilled out on the floor. It was more of an inconvenience than anything.

The grinding of the pump is driving me up the wall. I see that Amazon is now selling the Jebao return pumps and the RW series powerheads - I think I'll be doing a little bit of shopping soon. :D.

Those two snails are awesome. If the GFO works like it is supposed to, I don't think that I will add more than two snails to this whole system - and probably no more than two hermits either. It just seems like they wouldn't have much to eat. If algae gets bad, I might add more, but for now it's all doing pretty good.

I am excited to see if my cycle is over with tomorrow. If it is, I've been eyeballing this beautiful 2" tomato clownfish at my LFS. I think he deserves an anemone eventually. My fish store hasn't gotten anything in much in a month now because of all the snow and ice. I don't blame them for not ordering anything. If the tomato is sold by tomorrow, I'll have to wait until their next shipment arrives.

One more month and I'll install the kalk reactor by the end of March. That should give the tank enough time to settle down and stabilize and get ready for growing some coralline algae and other goodies on the live rock. Oh, by the way, the explosion of copepods just happened today - They are all over the glass, the rocks, everything. It's great knowing that I have a healthy stock of them in my tank.

snakeblitz33

Oh yeah,

I played around with my Apex Jr. this evening and was able to hook it up to the internet and do the Firmware update. I'm excited to start to play around with it again. I'm still trying to figure out the whole Apex Fusion thing from my iPhone. . At least now I can access it through my tablet computer any time I need to.

snakeblitz33

I can now control my lights, my return pump and my temperature of the aquarium through my iPhone. I can get e-mail alerts and get real time data while I'm at work. Awesome.

snakeblitz33

lol, It's just a Neptune Systems Apex Jr. Aquacontroller. I still want to add a few different aquabus's to it so that I can monitor the pH, water on floor, and a few other little things. As the tank advances, the technology will too.

I have GFO in my reactor and I'm fixing to go to the fish store and pick up a pair of clownfish for the tank. I tried talking my wife into letting me get a maroon clown, but she said she didn't like those kind. I let her have creative control (within reason) of the fish, so that she might get more interested in the hobby over time.

The tank should be cycled - all of the signs of a proper cycle have come to pass. Diatoms have gone away and the snails are still doing just fine. The hair algae is subsiding for the most part, and will continue to go away over the next few weeks.

I'll post pictures of the clowns when I get home.

snakeblitz33

Oh yeah, no signs of stress. They ate their food and even the shrimp joined in. I hope that the shrimp take care of the aiptasia soon.

Fingers crossed that they will be fine.

Next week I'll add another fish. Perhaps a goby or blennie of some sort.

mandy111

Oh yeah, no signs of stress. They ate their food and even the shrimp joined in. I hope that the shrimp take care of the aiptasia soon.

Fingers crossed that they will be fine.

Next week I'll add another fish. Perhaps a goby or blennie of some sort.
nice addition......its exciting now ! the fun begins

snakeblitz33

Yep!

I know how aggressive those cinnamon clowns can get. They are kinda fighting between each other this morning. I'm considering taking them back to the store and trading them for two ocellaris percula clownfish. I want to be able to have a diversity of fish in the tank, and I think over time those cinnamon clownfish will just bully any other fish that I have in the system. They are pretty though.

One of the strong powerheads fell last night. Im glad that I had it unplugged so that it didn't stir up the sandbed with the new additions in there.

The return pumps grinding isn't as bad today as it was the last couple of days. I'm going to give it a chance to settle down this week or else I'm buying a new Jebao variable speed DC return pump from Amazon.

I'm just about done adding equipment to the tank for now. There are three main things that I would like to buy at this time - a photon 48 for the lighting system... a RW8 for a powerhead... and that new return pump. Not much to ask for, is it? Oh, and I want to expand the capabilities of m y Apex. :D

I'll be buying one or two critters for the tank from here on out...

pegasus

thanks Mandy,

Things are coming along nicely. I just got my GFO in the mail today and put it in the system. according to the directions, it requires 8floz per 50g of water. Since I have roughly 75g of water that is habitable at the moment, I added 12floz to the reactor and adjusted it to a slow tumble. Unfortunately, the bad tipped over and a little spilled out on the floor. It was more of an inconvenience than anything.

The grinding of the pump is driving me up the wall. I see that Amazon is now selling the Jebao return pumps and the RW series powerheads - I think I'll be doing a little bit of shopping soon. :D.
Before I bought my reactor, I talked to the guys at BRS and told them that I'd be running high capacity GFO. They told me the Cobalt MJ1200 pump wouldn't be strong enough for HC GFO, so I bought a Mag Drive 3 for my dual GFO canisters. It's what most people recommend, and since I'm a die-hard Mag-Drive fan, it's what I went with. Couldn't be happier.

snakeblitz33

Pegasus, I am currently using my return pump to power my phosban reactor. Plenty of flow... in fact, I think it might be a little too much if it grinds down too much.

The good news is that the phosphate levels in the water column are probably very low. I added that GFO to the phosban reactor and as far as I can tell, there is no new hair algae growth - anywhere. The algae that is still there isn't growing either, which should be a good sign.

I'm going to clean my glass some this evening and figure out how to clean my filter socks. I have a few that I need to figure out how to clean properly. I have a nylon sock on there now - we will see how well it does and if it is any easier to clean, I might just buy those from now on. The felt seems like a lot of work to get clean enough.

Copepods are still everywhere. It's kind of neat getting to observe them on the glass.

The RO/DI TDS is still reading 0ppm, which is great. I'm having trouble keeping my temperature stable. I think I might have to buy a heater that has more watts. The one I have is not cutting it during the day. It's been varying by 4-5*F during the day, since I cut my heater off while no one is at home.

The clownfish decided to separate themselves on either side of the tank. lol They are still eating like little pigs.

snakeblitz33

Yesterday I purchased a coral beauty angelfish. Yeah yeah, hit or miss. I'm going to keep her well fed. We will see how it goes in a couple months when I start adding coral.

I also bought a sailfin tang and a Philippine tang and they are both in quarantine right now at the fish store. I'll be bringing them home next weekend.

I think I am going to be done adding fish after that. I think that will be about as much as I want the system to handle.

Next project to get done is to hook up the kalk stirrer and save up for a photon 48 from Reefbreeders.

As soon as the angel comes out, I'll take some pics of the tank and the progress.

snakeblitz33

The first flecks of coralline is starting to grow on the plastic stuff in the tank.

I'm picking up a few hermits and a skunk cleaner shrimp later this week. Saturday I'll be picking up my two tangs I purhased last week. Hopefully the LFS has been getting them to eat prepared foods.

Since the tank is starting to level out some, I'm going to plumb in the kalkwasser stirrer and let it work it's magic for a few weeks before I start adding some corals to the tank.

Il get ready to do my first water change on this tank at the end of this month. I got to get the float valve ll fixed up on the 20g long tank first. Ah, the trouble we go through. Lol

I was able to dial in the gate valve on the siphon and made it a bit quieter. I'll be adding filter floss to the overflow to quiet it down. The only other thing to replace will be this awfully loud return pump.

I guess I'll wait on powerheads for now and consider saving for those photons next.

snakeblitz33

Despite the hair algae hanging on by a thread, I'm glad to see that coralline is already growing and spreading. It's kind of like a measuring stick - something I can look at to measure the health of the system.

I'll be hooking up the kalk stirrer tonight, since I will have a little time.

silverado61

Still here keeping up with your build. Looking forward to some more pics. Like you told me. Until we see more pics, it didn't happen.

pegasus

Looks like you're off to a good start... with the exception of hair algae. As long as you keep it under control, you should be okay. I thought about a kalk reactor, but if you use it on your ATO, evaporation rates may not be consistent, so neither will you calcium levels. I prefer to dose 2 part, since I have to dose Alk and Mag anyway. I have complete control of the levels this way. To make life easier, I'm going to get a 3 or 4 stage dosing pump to dose Cal, Alk, and Mag. It'll be my next tank purchase. The reason I won't use Kalk is in this article:

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

snakeblitz33

My angelfish has popeye or some kind of fungal infection. I'm setting up a quarantine and getting some medicine and something to help with any ammonia produced from the fish in the water. I'm also going to buy a variety of foods for him to munch on so that I might be able to get him through this. Im not only stressed a little at work right now, but also come home to popeye.

I bought five hermit crabs to help take care of the excess pellet food on the bottom of the tank. I hope that they do their little jobs. They have just been hanging out on top of a rock - I guess getting used to the new environment.

It will all work out. It will all work out.

Pegasus, I have used kalkwasser for years. I actually used to use Mrs. Wages pickling lime. I know what I'm doing with it. I just decided to use the actual stuff sold by Brightwell this time, so my mind is set. Plus, I already have over a hundred dollars invested in it - so there is no turning back. lol. Oh, and there really isn't a whole lot of calcium and stuff being used at the moment - and when kalkwasser won't do the job anymore, I'll add a two part solution. It's all good. I'll also read the article you posted as well, just to get another point of view.

snakeblitz33

Pegasus, I read the article that you posted, and it pretty much reaffirmed what I already knew. Why wont you do it? What's so wrong?