How many inverts are TOO many?

john suh

Inverts are low bioload, you can definitely fit a few more. Main thing is compatibility. I just added a Coral Banded shrimp in my 30 cause I got him real cheap on craigslist. Having read some bio about them, it sounds like he's best left alone and that's okay.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that nass snails are wonderful for sandbeds. They will keep things clean and move the sand around enough so you don't get dead spots.

Never make the mistake of getting hermits.

pegasus

I agree that nass snails are wonderful for sandbeds. They will keep things clean and move the sand around enough so you don't get dead spots.

Never make the mistake of getting hermits.
The more I learn about nassarius snails, the more I hate hermit crabs. It's hard to have both. I now know that if you have enough nassarius snails, there's no need for hermits... doh!!! I'm now waiting for the last of my hermits to croak...

silverado61

Your snails end up as escargot. A hermit crab buffet. I had about 10 hermits in my display and never bothered anything. Until I decided to increase my snail population. Then the hermits turned on them and started eating them. Enough of that. I threw all but the largest one, I call him RV, into the sump to live happily ever after.

john suh

Your snails end up as escargot. A hermit crab buffet. I had about 10 hermits in my display and never bothered anything. Until I decided to increase my snail population. Then the hermits turned on them and started eating them. Enough of that. I threw all but the largest one, I call him RV, into the sump to live happily ever after.
Okay cool, no snails here. Reason I ask was some guy had an invert 10 gallon setup on Craigs. Sold me 10 hermit crabs + 1 coral banded shrimp and around 15 pounds of live rock for very cheap. They all doin great so far in my 30 and obviously those little guys have an upgrade in housing as well. Hermits are very active little guys I noticed.

pegasus

I was always told that if you kept plenty of empty shells laying around for the hermits to move into when they outgrew their shells, that it would all but eliminate snail predation. What a crock. My sandbed looks like a snail cemetery! Most of my (remaining) hermits are big, but the majority of the empty shells are much smaller than them, which tells me they just love to eat snails. Since making that error, I've learned that with enough Nassarius snails, I don't need hermits. I look forward to the day when the last one croaks...