About that time for the FOWLR upgrade

Dflo

Moving to the new place next month and getting a very nice tax return to help with the funds for my upgrade. Currently talking with a guy on Craigslist that is selling his 300 gal reef ready acrylic tank for 900. He had set up in wall and is moving. Tank is 96" x 30 x 24 so plenty of room for my current stock to keep growing and add a few more. If that doesn't pan out lfs has a 210 and stand for 1200. If either of these were your tanks and just running a FOWLR set up what would you do for sump, skimmer, pump and UV. Want to have most of everything together when do move so can set up and get cycling. Thanks everyone and looking forward to everyones thoughts

mauler

I font know much about sumps or in sump equipment since I don't have one but I can tell you the uv will be a waste of money. I'm also looking forward to updates.

pegasus

I can tell you the uv will be a waste of money.
Now there's a subject for a lot of debate. Many people argue they're worthless... unless you have a parasitic or bacterial outbreak. People install them and never have an outbreak, so they think they're worthless. The thing is, how do you know you didn't have and outbreak, and the UV killed it before it became problematic??? Therein lies the dilemma...

mauler

I've never used one and haven't had a bacterial outbreak so I just don't see a need for it. As far as parasites go a uv won't cure the fish it will simply cut down on the parasites numbers and a qt will solve the issue of needing one for parasites. So again just don't see a need for one.

pegasus

For a FOWLR tank, a sump only needs to be big enough to house the skimmer and return pump. The skimmer will depend on which tank you end up with. It's always better to oversize the skimmer than to undersize it. A larger skimmer will allow for growth in the system, which basically means a fully stocked tank with a heavy bioload. You don't want to fall short there. 25% overhead would be minimum, meaning if you got the 300 gallon tank, you'll want a skimmer rated for 375 gallons. Some skimmers will give different ratings for lightly, normal, or heavy stocked tanks... but not all. If the skimmer only shows one tank size, it's most likely for light/average stocking. Always go higher.

I prefer to have a refugium to help with nutrient export. I also like the extra volume of water, which allows for more fish in the display. Of course, you can accomplish the same thing with a large sump, but you lose the nutrient export aspect. It's all in what you want to achieve.

pegasus

I've never used one and haven't had a bacterial outbreak so I just don't see a need for it. As far as parasites go a uv won't cure the fish it will simply cut down on the parasites numbers and a qt will solve the issue of needing one for parasites. So again just don't see a need for one.
To each their own... I had a severe outbreak of velvet over a year ago, and lost a few fish. No idea where it came from. My coral beauty survived, but still bears the scars on his head to this day. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I like to think of it as insurance...

Dflo

I would like to run a refug as well just like you said to help with the nutrients. I do plan to have quite a few good size fish in there. Currently have male and female blue jaw triggers, nigger trigger, blue hippo, yellow tang, one spot Foxface and 2 snowflake eels. Like to add once upgrade is complete a harlequin tusk and possibly a large angel or another tang. If the 300 works out might try a ray as well

pegasus

I would like to run a refug as well just like you said to help with the nutrients. I do plan to have quite a few good size fish in there. Currently have male and female blue jaw triggers, nigger trigger, blue hippo, yellow tang, one spot Foxface and 2 snowflake eels. Like to add once upgrade is complete a harlequin tusk and possibly a large angel or another tang. If the 300 works out might try a ray as well
Sweet! I hope it works out for you!!!

mauler

To each their own... I had a severe outbreak of velvet over a year ago, and lost a few fish. No idea where it came from. My coral beauty survived, but still bears the scars on his head to this day. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I like to think of it as insurance...
But a uv isn't gonna keep your fish from getting infested parasites

pegasus

But a uv isn't gonna keep your fish from getting infested parasites
It may not stop, or cure, a parasite infestation, but it can help prevent it. UV does kill parasites... and bacteria.

As I said earlier: "Now there's a subject for a lot of debate." Unfortunately, I don't feel like debating, because there are those of you who have already made up your minds about UV sterilizers, and it's not my job of trying to convince you otherwise. You either take it, or leave it. It's pretty much that simple. I've made my decision, and you've made yours. Perhaps we can use this space for something more constructive?

Dflo

Went today and looked at a 210 gal Marineland reef ready full set up. Guy just went through divorce. Getting entire set up for 1700. Stand canopy led Eco lights 55 gal refugium sump set up G3 skimmer 2 stage rodi system 4 powerhead about 300 lbs of live rock. 2 20 gal quarantine tanks with fluval filter system and custom stand for them. Extra sump and some other goodies. Live stock is Naso, hippo, powder blue and sailfin tangs, tomato clown, couple damsels and some cuc. Tank is up and running just needs a little cleaning but nothing too bad.

Unfortunately won't be in new place until middle of April so tank will have to sit in climate control storage for about a month. Talking with lfs about the livestock and getting a credit for future purchase since really don't have anywhere to keep them. Probably will get rid of half the rock since will be a FOWLR tank. Tank will be first thing going in new place so can be up and running by the time livestock transfer needs to take place. Good thing is I will have 2 weeks to get everything moved 15 min down the road

Any advice on equipment getting with setup is greatly appreciated. Will post some pics as well later as well

Dflo

Picked up the new tank yesterday. Unfortunately has to sit in storage for a month. Excited for this upgrade

pegasus

Picked up the new tank yesterday. Unfortunately has to sit in storage for a month. Excited for this upgrade
Awesome! Looking forward to you getting to set it up. Too bad you have to wait, but good things come to those who wait! LOL! On the other hand, it's kind of like buying a new car and not being able to drive it for a month... :confused: