Allen's Damselfish Aggression Question

Iowa Clown

Hello. I have a question about Allen's Damselfish. I know that damsels are generally aggressive, and thus far I have avoided them. However, one of my aquarium books says that Allen's Damselfish are not very aggressive and are "wonderful aquarium fish." Is this true? My LFS just got two of them in, and I am considering purchasing them to put into my 37 gallon tank. Currently, the occupants are two clownfish, one yellow clown goby, and one firefish goby. I am particularly worried about the firefish with them. Any thoughts? Is this breed of damsels considerably better behaved than the others? Thank you.

pegasus

All damselfish have the potential to be aggressive. Some more than others, but the Allens should be one of the least aggressive. I have a yellowtail that was a terror to the other damsels, but it never bothers my clownfish, clown goby, or firefish. Since they will be the last addition to the tank, the other fish should be fine.

Be aware... any additions after the damsels may be met with aggression.

Last edited:

jay0705

My yellow tail doesn't bother, anything. Mind you his tank mates are a maroon clown and sunrise dotty back