Filter fir 75 gallon

I am totally restarting from scratch after about a year and a half. I always ended up getting like a purplish/dark red slime algae. I know this doesn't help but I ony used strip testing kits and it akways seemed like I had high nitrates and nitrites no matter how many water changes I did. I tried using tap water and going to the windmill water stations. I'm not sure of the skimmer but the local fish club I got it from said its good for up to 150 gallons. What size filter should I get and any tips before I restart?

aduvall

sounds like cyanobacteria. A few questions:

Did you have live rock or live sand and how much?
What were your numbers for nitrate and nitrite?
How long do you keep your lights on?
Did you test your water before you put it in?

If you're wanting to use a canister filter you'd need a fluval 406 or something with the equivalent power or above.

Also what was your stock list and how often/much did you feed?

I don't know what my level were they were high. I think I will try to use distilled water and feeding less. I think I was over feeding from what I am reading. I was feeding twice per day and also putting lettuce or something for my herbivores to eat. Also when I would get a new fish and it wouldn't eat I would freak out a little and keep feeding.

snakeblitz33

I used a hang on back (HOB) filter called a Marineland Emperor 400 that has plenty of space and two filters with two media strainers. It's a pretty good hang on back filter.

I like reef octopus brand protein skimmers. They make a decent one that is HOB for up to a 105g tank that would do well for your system.

stern

yes, I have Cascade 1000 for a 100 gallons and HOB Octopus 1000 for a 105 gallons, which works good on my 75 gallon tank. get a hang on Ammonia detector by Seacheme it will help by just looking at it every day.