I need all the luck with Ich and brown algae

trigger40

beth wants you to do water changes to remove the free swimming stage of ich. so you would not need to change salinity, just do water changes. every day

pegasus

Hi Beth,

It have no sign of ICH for three weeks, if I wait for another 4 weeks, am I able to get more fish (5-6)?
You don't have to wait another 4 weeks. Ick has a 3-4 week reproductive cycle, after which it must find a host within 24-48 hours, or it will die. I would wait another two weeks to be safe. Please don't add 5-6 fish at one time. No more than one or two at a time, so the system can adjust to the new additions.

I hate to disagree with the powers that be, but I have to disagree with daily water changes. This will not rid your tank of ick. When ick is in the reproductive cycle (tomont stage), it's attached to the substrate in your tank, so changing water accomplishes nothing. Ick will remain attached to the substrate for 3-4 weeks as it multiplies. Even if it has moved into the water column in search of a host fish, the chances of getting all of it are very slim, at best. You're just wasting salt...

Pegasus,

It is Beth that suggested me to do daily change water because I using Garlic way to stop ICH attack in my reef tank. , it seems to me it have worked well,

At one point I have total of 10 fish all add it at the same time plus 9 coral and inverts, I have no problem with doing it, and I agreed with you I shouldn't. All of fish I am getting are small fish.

pegasus

Pegasus,

It is Beth that suggested me to do daily change water because I using Garlic way to stop ICH attack in my reef tank. , it seems to me it have worked well,

At one point I have total of 10 fish all add it at the same time plus 9 coral and inverts, I have no problem with doing it, and I agreed with you I shouldn't. All of fish I am getting are small fish.
Garlic helps boost their immune system, which will help them fight off ick. Good call on that! Several large fish at once is asking for trouble, but you can probably get away with adding several small fish all at once. Corals and inverts don't create much waste, so they don't impact the system like a lot of fish.

john suh

I have a juvy Dog Face Puffer who ran into ich last week, was really bad. Bought a HOB UV filter and fed him Garlic Xtreme...fast forward today, all cured. So from personal experience this method works.

Tried real garlic cloves liquified in blender and soaked into food but once he took a bite out of that Krill, I could literally see his face squirm as he spit it out immediately. He took to Garlic Xtreme well and ate that presoaked food up.

I am planing when I get new fish, I will use garlic xtreme to feed them first time, the good thing about garlic extreme is it won't hurt the invert and Coral.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have a juvy Dog Face Puffer who ran into ich last week, was really bad. Bought a HOB UV filter and fed him Garlic Xtreme...fast forward today, all cured. So from personal experience this method works.

Tried real garlic cloves liquified in blender and soaked into food but once he took a bite out of that Krill, I could literally see his face squirm as he spit it out immediately. He took to Garlic Xtreme well and ate that presoaked food up.
Sorry to say, your fish still has ich. Garlic Ext. does absolutely nothing to cure ich.