Blue Jaw with Popeye

Dflo

This is my first time dealing with popeye and is on my male blue jaw. He is eating but only when target feeding. What is the best way to help him. Thank you

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are your water readings? Circulation in tank? Size tank? Do you have a quarantine tank?

Dflo

Ph 8.1 nitrate amo and nitrite all 0 sal 1.024. It's a 72 gal bowfront with Sicce Voyager powerhead 1200 gph. I do have a 29 qt tank

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to suggest a small daily water change for the next few days. This sometimes help to alleviate popup. In the meantime continue target feeding with meaty foods soaked in freshly minced garlic. If things don't improve, then he will need to go to QT for medication treatment. Is your QT cycled, set up? Look for Maracyn Two. If he stops eating, he'll need to be moved to QT for treatment.

Dflo

He's eating good when target feeding without having to use garlic. He actually came from the rock and went after some food this morning. Qt has been cycled and ready if necessary

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Garlic has other immune and antibiotic qualities that could help the problem. I would do it. Let us know how the water changes go over the next few days. If he doesn't improve then try the antibiotics in QT.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome. And get back to us within the next few days. Look for the Maracyn Two in the meantime. Good luck.

Dflo

Will do. He was swimming around some a bit ago and actually went after some food. Target fed some garlic soaked mysis as well

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would be offering that trigger more than Mysis. Try some real meaty foods....maybe pickup some uncooked, unseasoned seafood (shrimp, clam, etc) from your grocery seafood counter. He's sick, so he needs to eat well. You can chop up fine pieces and I'll bet he'll gobbles it up.

How about the water changes?

Dflo

I manage a grocery store and been feeding him uncooked shrimp just not today since I was off. Going to give him a piece of silverside here in a bit. Done 2 small water changes so far and another scheduled for tom.

bang guy

I manage a grocery store and been feeding him uncooked shrimp just not today since I was off. Going to give him a piece of silverside here in a bit. Done 2 small water changes so far and another scheduled for tom.
Farmed (freshwater Shrimp) or wild caught (saltwater Shrimp)?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you fresh garlic-ing your meaty food?

Is your QT cycled, and have you found the Maracyn Two?

Dflo

just finished today's water change then fed him some garlic soaked clam and it didn't last long at all. Eyes look like they are coming down some and starting to swim around a lot more.

QT and maracyn two is ready just in case needed

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Keep up the fresh garlic juice feedings with meaty food. Make sure that garlic is only soaked for less than a min, then feed quickly. The antibiotic in fresh garlic will only be effective for a few mins following mincing the garlic.

He's probably going to be irreversibly spoiled you realize......

Dflo

Seeing a tad bit of improvement. Water changes are being done daily and you are right I think he is getting spoiled by the target feeding. Good news is he still goes after food that falls around him when feeding the tank

Dflo

Slowly coming down can tell a bit of difference. Will keeping lights down help any as well?