Reef Newbie

beaslbob

Kool thanx for all the advice! I will check out Air Water Ice and see what they have. I have not read anything about feeding the live rock though, won't that increase waste in the tank? How much food should I put in for the micro fauna?

As to macro algae in a refugium, I read that the 2nd chamber in my biocube can be used as a refugium, but won't I need a light for it? I'm on a budget so too much extra equipment is not going to be easy ATM.

""I have read that I should not change the water parameters once i start adding corals so I know I need to stick to one method and or salt mix"

"Is that mean I can't change from IO salt mix to IO reef salt mix?"
From what I have read, no you should be able to switch to reef crystals so long as you maintain your salinity level like Jay said.

Thanx again for all the warm welcomes and advice!:)
Yes you do need a simple light. One of those spiral pigtail fluorescent bulbs in a simple round reflector will so. Just make sure to have 4-5 watts/gallon of refugium volume. that is actuall fluorescent watts not the wattage of an equilivant incandescent bulb.

If it were me I would eliminate all other filter materials and any skimmer and make the whole filter a refugium.

As a suggestion you might try searching for dr holmes-farley improved diy two part. That is from maintaining calcium, alk, and magnesium using very inexpensive chemicals.

my .02

pegasus

Kool thanx for all the advice! I will check out Air Water Ice and see what they have. I have not read anything about feeding the live rock though, won't that increase waste in the tank? How much food should I put in for the micro fauna?

As to macro algae in a refugium, I read that the 2nd chamber in my biocube can be used as a refugium, but won't I need a light for it? I'm on a budget so too much extra equipment is not going to be easy ATM.

""I have read that I should not change the water parameters once i start adding corals so I know I need to stick to one method and or salt mix"

"Is that mean I can't change from IO salt mix to IO reef salt mix?"
From what I have read, no you should be able to switch to reef crystals so long as you maintain your salinity level like Jay said.

Thanx again for all the warm welcomes and advice!:)
You are not feeding the live rock, but you are feeding the bacteria that lives in the rock. A small pinch of fish food every day or two is all that you need. The food will break down (decay) and create ammonia. Bacteria in the rocks will eat the ammonia, and it's waste will be nitrite. Other bacteria in the rocks will eat the nitrite, and it's waste will be nitrate. This is the short version of the nitrogen cycle. As long as you feed the first bacteria, it will feed the other bacteria.

A cheap fluorescent bulb in a clip-on reflector lamp is all you need to grow macro algae in your refugium.

Changing salt mix is not the same as changing water parameters. You can change salt anytime you want, as long as you mix it to the same salinity. Water parameters are the levels of different compounds in your water, which should always remain as stable as possible.

Kronic

The biocube's lights are built into the hood. Without buying a new light, which i plan to do within 6 months, I can't remove the top. I will be upgrading to LED's but, A. The LED kit I want isn't availible just yet, and B. My wife would kill me if I didn't use the lights it came with at least for awhile lol.

I will keep the cover until finish Cly
The biocube's lights are built into the hood. Without buying a new light, which i plan to do within 6 months, I can't remove the top. I will be upgrading to LED's but, A. The LED kit I want isn't availible just yet, and B. My wife would kill me if I didn't use the lights it came with at least for awhile lol.
Unless you have finish cycling your tank, I will keep the top close.

Kronic

pegasus

Have to post links to my pics because the server says my file are too big. I think I did a pretty good job on my first aquascape. :D
If you're uploading from your computer, resize the original picture in Paint to make it less than 1 MB. It will upload the smaller picture. If you're using a cell phone, send the picture to yourself in a message, and the phone will resize it automatically. Upload the picture from the message.

Not too shabby! Fish are going to love all the crooks and crannies.

silverado61

If its live sand I'd go ahead and put it in. No sense in letting it go to waste.
Oh, and you might want to delete that link. This website sells stuff.

pegasus

If its live sand I'd go ahead and put it in. No sense in letting it go to waste.
Oh, and you might want to delete that link. This website sells stuff.
+1. I'm an avid supporter of deep sand beds. This is where a lot of your natural filtration comes from, so it doesn't hurt to have plenty of sand. Yeah... be careful about posting the competition's websites here.

silverado61

Some areas in my tank have 2in some have 6in. All depends on how much remodeling my watchman does. I just leave it where he puts it. It just looks more natural that way.