Can someone recommend a Home/Reef RODI System?

Pisces28

Hello,

I am looking to install a RODI water system and wondering if anyone has any opinions on which are good?
Figured I might as well use this for the house, as well as to make water for my 29 gallon tank.

Any suggestions on which company to go with?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I really like Air Water Ice systems. Affordable, options to hookup to fridge and fish tank. I got excellent water quality with their Dual Home Reef system. Under $200.

pegasus

I highly recommend you test your water pressure, as most RO/DI units perform best between 60-100 PSI. Not many homes have that type of pressure, so a booster pump might be a good investment. You can operate it on less pressure, but you'll create far more waste water than purified water. At 35 PSI, you'll have a 3:1 ratio... 3 gallons of waste water for every 1 gallon of purified (product) water. Increased pressure will lengthen the life of you RO membrane, as well as cut down on waste. A good pump will increase purified water production, and normally give a 1:1 waste/product ratio. It will eventually pay for itself in water saved... ;)

Pisces28

has anyone used or heard of the company Koolermax by Filter Direct? looking to buy ithis product but skeptical because I've never heard of it. any ideas?

snakeblitz33

To units don't pour, they drip. Usually people install float valves inside of food grade plastic containers or aquariums to collect water.

pegasus

with the Air Water Ice system, is there a separate hose with a valve to pour into a bucket?
You can simply add a "tee", a length of tubing (however much you need), and a shutoff valve if you want to pour water in a loose bucket. If you're running the product line directly to a stationary bucket, you won't need a tee. Just enough tubing to reach the bucket, and either a shutoff valve, or a float valve attached to the bucket.

bang guy

Caution - you need more than just a float valve on the bucket. If you only close the product line the RO will continue to dump water through the waste line and waste a LOT of water. You need to either shut it off at the water source when not in use or install a pressure valve that senses back pressure that will shut the source water off.

pegasus

Caution - you need more than just a float valve on the bucket. If you only close the product line the RO will continue to dump water through the waste line and waste a LOT of water. You need to either shut it off at the water source when not in use or install a pressure valve that senses back pressure that will shut the source water off.
Most of the modern systems come with a automatic shutoff switch that cuts off the flow through the RO membrane when pressure builds up on the product line. Doesn't hurt to have a spare switch laying around as they the diaphragm inside tends to crack, especially if you're running higher pressure... as with a booster pump.

Speaking of wasting water: most homes operate on 30-40 PSI water pressure. RO/DI units will normally give a 3:1 water to waste ratio at this pressure. 3 gallons of waste water for every gallon of product water. This is incredibly inefficient. A booster pump running the system at 80-100 PSI will reduce waste and yield a 1:1 waste to product ratio, because your RO membrane is operating much more efficiently. I had read it would, and since my home pressure was 37 PSI, I installed a booster pump. I tested it with the waste line in one jug, and the product line in another. Both jugs filled at the same rate. The savings on wasted water will pay for the booster pump. Just wanted to throw that in for those that don't know...

Last edited:

geridoc

I think the typhoon 3 at Air water ice comes with an ASOV (automatic Shut Off Valve)
AWI does have an ASOV. They are also incredibly easy to deal with. I was ordering replacement carts yesterday and mentioned that the inline TDS meter was not working. The AWI person then said he would throw a replacement in the box, no charge. The system is at least 10 years old and still they warranty the equipment.