Scooter blenny, ich or not?

seecrabrun

I had him snacking on freshly hatched brine this morning and just picked up some frozen brine to try and work in.

jay0705

Live newly hatched brine is very nutritious. Frozen brine no, but it will start it down the path to eat frozen

pegasus

Brine will not provide nutrition.
Newly hatched brine with the yolks attached are "fairly" nutritious. Without the yolk... not so much. Brine can be gut loaded with Selcon soaked flake food, and this is also fairly nutritious. However, the nutrition is coming from the Selcon and flake food, and not the brine shrimp. It's just a vessel...

jay0705

Newly hatched brine with the yolks attached are "fairly" nutritious. Without the yolk... not so much. Brine can be gut loaded with Selcon soaked flake food, and this is also fairly nutritious. However, the nutrition is coming from the Selcon and flake food, and not the brine shrimp. It's just a vessel...
Listen buddy!!! Lol jk jk
Yes brine is not ideal. But live is better than dead, dead is better than nothing. Prawn roe, cyclopese are all much better options. Mine eat mysis aswell, but that can take a bit

seecrabrun

Indeed. I'll be using the brine and then frozen brine as the first steps to getting it on more nutritious frozen food.

Get it to eat brine, then get it to eat frozen brine, then get it to eat frozen roe/chopped mysis/etc

I've also researched decapsulated brine eggs as an option and that you can hatch them and since they don't have to break their shell they use less energy, giving them more value.

I'm wondering about the tisbe pods. I've been reading they are detritus eaters, is that just a supplement or is that what they prefer? As I planned to culter the tisbe with the phyto I culter.

seecrabrun

JMHO but I believe Ostracods are, by far, the most nutritious food for Dragonets.
Are those even available for purchase?

I'm going to drive 2 hours one way to get a bunch of pods. I just learned my shipment is delayed until Tuesday due to their weather. Ours is gorgeous, but they refused to ship them.

seecrabrun

Wow, adult brine shrimp are HUGE! well, I mean, compared to how big I thought they'd be!

He snacked on lots and lots of tiny orange babies today, these adult ones from the frozen food... I don't see him being able to handle. I'm honestly not sure he could fit them in his mouth LOL! He might, but since it isn't something he'd normally have the instinct to eat, I don't see him going after them.

I'll continue to hatch some babies, decap some eggs, get the pods tomorrow. They have 5 8oz bottles of algagen tisbe and I'm going to buy all of them as she said she'd discount them for me for almost being at their 4 week "expiration". I figure if I get them in the tank and in the jug with phyto for cultruing, they should be fine and hopefully my farm will be successful.

I'm going to look into ways of adding a small refugium. I had actually had an idea of doing a refugium in a large mason jar just because I thought it would look nice sitting out. I'll see if I can actually achieve that. That would be in addition to the HOB refugium already on the tank and also the pod farm.

I need to find a smaller jar. He easily went into the one I'm using but the cleaner shrimp did too... I may have to move the shrimp too the other tank if he becomes a problem.

lmforbis

Pods are scavengers right? I have them in my fuge but the water goes through the filter sock before it gets to the fuge so most of the the particulates are filtered out. Would there still be enough in the water to keep them fed and happy or should I be adding something for them like coral frenzy?

seecrabrun

I think they eat teeny tiny stuff that can even get through a sock, so I don't think you need to worry.

Maybe add some phyto from time to time of you aren't already doing so to feed coral.

lmforbis

The sock claims to filter larger than 2 micron. I know two micron will filter out bacteria cells. Just for good measure I think I will start adding something once a week or so to keep them reproducing. My flasher wrasse loves them.

pegasus

JMHO but I believe Ostracods are, by far, the most nutritious food for Dragonets.
Perhaps so, but good luck finding any. I have never seen them for sale, and I've looked at tons of pods. I suggested Tisbe as they are readily available, and will meet all of the nutritional needs of a dragonet. My mandarin only ate live food for the first year I had him, and I only stocked my tank and refugium with Tisbe and amphipods. He may eat a baby amphipod occasionally, but the bulk of his diet for the first year was Tisbe. For the past year, he has eaten a flake or two during feeding time, but only if one lands in front of him... he doesn't actively seek them out. If you know where I can find marine ostracods, please let me know. I would be more than willing to add them to my dragonet's diet.

pegasus

Pods are scavengers right? I have them in my fuge but the water goes through the filter sock before it gets to the fuge so most of the the particulates are filtered out. Would there still be enough in the water to keep them fed and happy or should I be adding something for them like coral frenzy?
That's why I don't have socks on the ends of my overflows. I want to feed the copepods and amphipods in my refugium. What the skimmer doesn't remove, the pods, mysis, and snails clean up in the fuge. It feeds the pods, and in return, the pods feed my tank. It's the glorious cycle of life...

lmforbis

That's why I don't have socks on the ends of my overflows. I want to feed the copepods and amphipods in my refugium. What the skimmer doesn't remove, the pods, mysis, and snails clean up in the fuge. It feeds the pods, and in return, the pods feed my tank. It's the glorious cycle of life...
Something to think about. The filter socks are a pain in the ass to clean.

seecrabrun

The 5 bottles I pick up tomorrow are all Tisbe and everything I've actively added to my tank so far has been tisbe. It's what I plan to culture as well.

I know I have other pods, but no way to control what is there currently. I have these gigantic brown pods that came in on some frags. They are weird and I need to try to identify them. They look like amphipods but much bigger and dark on color. I have some huge white ones too. Then I also get mysid in my HOB refugium occasionally.