Question for my buds

pegasus

ok so in other words, you do NOTHING to supplement your biological filter, just like everybody else here. Thanks!
About a year ago, my Nitrate was running about 5 ppm, and Phosphate was 1-2 ppm. I started dosing NO3/PO4:X to lower Nitrate and Phosphate levels. It brought both levels down fairly low, and stalled. I installed a GFO/GAC reactor a couple of months ago to further lower Phosphate level, and did my regular daily dosing of NO3/PO4:X. A little over two weeks ago, I stopped dosing NO3/PO4:X to see what would happen. I just finished testing for both... NO3 level is .25 ppm, and PO4 level is .08 ppm. Considering that I feed flake food in fairly generous servings and no longer dose, I think those are excellent levels...

To answer your question... I now supplement my biological filter with GFO and GAC. GFO absorbs Phosphate, and GAC removes DOC's... :D

I also have a remote deep sand bed (rdsb) with 120 lbs. of play sand from Lowe's, but I have 120 lbs. of Fiji pink live sand that I'll be swapping out for the play sand very soon. I've been wondering about silicate leeching from the play sand, so just to be safe, it will be replaced... :cool:

Last edited:

seecrabrun

A friend sent me a starter pack. Not even sure what all there is yet. At least 6 different ones. They are in QT until I upgrade the tank in a couple weeks.