All fish died in reef tank

Ivo bolsens

Water quality:

Salinity 1025
Nitrate 10ppm
Amonia 0

As of today all fish died in 3 days. Started by fish staying at one location in tank, barely moving around. At the end they seemed to be covered by white slimy substance. All fish : yellow tang, 3 clowns, 1 Cardinal died in 3 days. Snails, sea stars, hermits, cleaner shrimp seem to be OK

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The vid is not accessible. Did you add new fish recently? Or anything new?

pegasus

If you want anyone to see the video, you'll need to change your youtube setting for this video. As it is, it says "This video is private".

Did you dip the coral before putting it in the tank? If so, what did you use?

Ivo bolsens

I was not aware needed to do so. Please advise. Also when I have a closer look now at water, I notice a lot of very little white particles suspended in water. No air bubbles. Video should work now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What is your nitrite level? How long has your tank been set up? How big is your tank and what fish did you have in the tank? What is the pH of the water and temperature?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What were the symptoms of the fish? Did you do a change to the tank preceding the die-off. You are not providing us with information that can aid us in figuring out what went wrong. The vid doesn't work. We need more details about what you observed.

Ivo bolsens

with the exception of the cardinal, the fish were in the tank for 2 months. The cardinal was added in the last week. The fish became lethargic and started hiding, one at the time. In the beginning there were no clear physical signs, at the end, it looked like they were covered by a white, transparent slimy substance (but no white dots, so I assume no ich...).
All fish died in a period of a few days. To silverado61 : just wanted to see if you paid attention.... for as far as it is important for your possible diagnosis...my first fish list was the correct one...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You said originally that you added a coral when asked about new fish. I'm going to assume you did not quarantine the new fish. Very likely that the fish introduced pathogen in to your system, perhaps oodinium, which many refer to as marine velvet. This is a highly contagious parasite that spreads and kills very rapidly. You will need to leave your system fish free for at least 2 mos to ensure that the parasite has died off.