Scooter blenny, ich or not?

seecrabrun

LOL no thanks. I've never been a fan of the psychedelic. I actually wanted a scooter over a mandy. I'm more into understated patterns and bold singular colors.

They are gorgeous fish and I enjoy seeing pictures of them, but never wanted to own one.

Last edited:

seecrabrun

I did look at them, they are pretty too.

I've wondered if I could put a red with my brown eventually, or if I should do another brown, or if I should only stick to the one.

I haven't researched how social they are, or aren't, yet. I'm pretty certain mine is actually a girl.

jay0705

Male female pairs or a couple females and a male. I have a pair of brown scooter and pair of mandys in my 56 np. 2 males may not be best buds tho lol. Ruby reds don't mix aswell tho. Idk why. I mean w other rubys. They leave normal scooters alone

seecrabrun

Caught the little scoundrel orange fingered tonight! I'm guessing my cleaner shrimp laid eggs? Or maybe the dwarf hermits?

Anyway there was a small clutch of orange eggs floating about and the scooter was chomping on them and chasing them.

Guess someone enjoys a little caviar before bed ;)

On another note. I was in the area of the ***** where I got this little guy and decided to look in. What I saw made me absolutely disgusted! Dead and dying fish all over, stuck to the overflow, being eaten by whoever, covered so heavily in ich they'd gone white, and the scooter blenny that was the largest there when I got this little guy, unable to move from being so weak and literally nothing but bones. I wanted to scream! And I wanted to bring him home :( but I know he's too far gone. Suddenly I have the urge to buy every scooter that shows up at ***** to save them from this horrible slow painful death :(

Instead, I'm just not going to go to ***** again. It hurts too much and there's nothing I can get there anyway.

bang guy

That is the right answer. When you "rescue" a fish it just encourages the establishment to order more. If they don't sell them they will not be encouraged to get more in.

jay0705

Its the biggest issue w draggonets. There in such bad shape when they get to us there noted as difficult to keep. When in reality a healthy specimen is fairly easy to keep if u do your homework

seecrabrun

I'll probably start a new update thread about this guy soon.

Last night I noticed there were pods crawling all over the front glass of the tank, in daylight. So there has to be lots and lots! Then today it was time to split my cultures, so I dumped about a gallon in culture in the tank.
Now there will be even more!

Do scooters ever get fat like mandies? I don't think they do? All the pictures I ever see show them longer and leaner instead of roly poly round like mandarins.