Hobby or money pit?

snakeblitz33

Are all hobbies money pits?

I'm just getting started back fixing up my tank, considering dropping $500 on new lights, $250 on new powerheads and a frag pack of easy SPS corals for another $200, not to mention all of the salt for the water changes, all of the chemicals we use, all the expensive fish and coral foods, filters and chemicals we use to maintain our tanks... The more I think about it, the more depressed I get. Yes, salt tanks are pretty. I am addicted to keeping them. I get depressed when I don't have one, imagine that.

More than likely I will be moving into a smaller place very soon and I'm thinking about downsizing or selling out... yet again. I start a tank, keep it for six months and get out. Ive moved locations five times in six years. The new place is 902 square feet, three bed two bath and I simply don't have the room for this 75g in it.

Anyone else have these problems? If so, how have you dealt with it?

lmforbis

That's what had always kept me from getting a bigger tank than a 55. My house is small and the living room is long and narrow with only one wall that a tank can go on. Last month I decided I'd sacrifice the space to have the bigger tank. Glad I did.

flower

I would wait until the move at least...THEN you can see the space you have and decide on what size tank. I have moved often over the years...moving a fish tank is lots of extra work, and I always built my home around the tank. I would do without a sofa rather then to let my tank go, I have actually done that by the way. It makes no sense to drop that much money on a tank that you may, or may not keep after the move.

john suh

One of the reasons I went with acrylic this go round. My 30 gallon acrylic tank and stand are very light. Also went gravel free this go around. Just move 5, 6 pieces of live rock ad off we go. If when it's time to move, no hesitation this tank will go with me. My 90 gallon glass tank from years back...no way was I going to lug that thing around.

seecrabrun

Money pit, ha! Pretty much. I posted a similar thread a week ago or so.

I'm feeling very guilty about the money I'm putting into my hobby, most of all because I normally have very frugal hobbies that have a purpose. Like knitting, and soap making. I can even justify larger purchases on the fact I can sell my handmade goods.

Not with saltwater! It's all money in- no money out!

jay0705

What hobby isn't expensive??? Please tell me I'll try it lol
I spent $1,300 on my bow,$150arrows, $300 for my stand. Then we have gas to and from lol
fishing, bait, lures, line, reel, rods, motor upkeep, waders, ect
Minimally a quarter of my yearly income if not more goes to my hobbys. I wouldn't change it tho. Certain things life is just better w

john suh

What hobby isn't expensive??? Please tell me I'll try it lol
I spent $1,300 on my bow,$150arrows, $300 for my stand. Then we have gas to and from lol
fishing, bait, lures, line, reel, rods, motor upkeep, waders, ect
Minimally a quarter of my yearly income if not more goes to my hobbys. I wouldn't change it tho. Certain things life is just better w
Precisely and in the grand scheme of things a hobby is a great thing to have for overall well being as a stress relief to get away from the 9-5 work and life responsibilities.

If you are in a hobby and worry more about the $$$$ than you are in it for the wrong reasons.

geridoc

Many years ago my mother gave me very sound advice when I was questioning spending some $$$ on a hobby. She said "That's why you work, to afford your pleasures." A wise woman. Over the years my circumstances have changed many times, but I always kept my thinking on that advice, big tank, small, it doesn't matter. It is why I work.

Kevin P.

Absolutely enchanted with marine fish. I keep getting told it so much easier and cheaper "these days." I'm considering a single fish or single small species salt setup in a 40 gallon tank for my first try after years of freshwater tanks. But the expense looks a bit too high unless I can cut some corners here or there. Now I wouldn't attempt it if that made it hazardous to my animals. We "rescued" half a dozen comets (yea, plain old gold fish) from a grocery store that had them all an a small vase with a bamboo plant in it. It was ridiculous. So I put them in a 40 gallon and set it up with a bio wheel for a 75 gallon tank. Even tho they're cold water fish I bought an over sized heater for future use. Adopting them out soon and I'll have my 40 back. I was planing on using that as the foundation of my salt water setup. Still researching so no definite decisions made yet. But couldn't I get started with the addition of a protein skimmer and the appropriate chemicals? I'm definitely not lazy about tank maintenance with my fresh water tank, but I'm looking for low maintenance in a salt water tank to reduce expenses. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

jay0705

Tank, heater, filter is all u need for a basic set up. I do reccomend some live rock and sand substrate tho

john suh

And don't buy live rock from fish stores charging 5 bucks a pound, major ripoff. Look around on your local craigslist daily for deals. There will be some hobbyists lookin to get out due to a move etc. and are selling their stuff piece by piece for cheap.

Last edited:

deejeff0442

Well seth next winter i plan an 8 footer.not for sure about fowlr or reef.probably go fowlr corals cost a fortune and can be touchy.but i figure 5 grand at least.i have mp40s and maybe 400 pounds of dead rock.plus a ton of other equipment left from all my old tank.still gunna need the tank stand lighting and a couple mp60s.now why are you moving again?

snakeblitz33

Sometimes life gets in the way of hobbies. I have another kid on the way and money will get tight again for another two years or so.

I got approved for that trailer. Woohoo! One step closer to moving in the country and building a house.

I'm thinking about selling off the tank and stand and keeping all of the equipment to downgrade since the new place is so small.

snakeblitz33

Oh, I'm moving because im having another kid and need a three bedroom for all of our sanity. I rent right now, and it will be nice to own something. When you rent, there is no end in sight and you end up paying someone else's mortgage. By buying, we actually save money each month. Lol

seecrabrun

Yeah sadly not everyone makes enough money to be "working for their hobbies"

I'm better off now than I used to be, but I still don't make much. Up until a couple years ago I barely made enough to take care of the necessities and so I definitely couldn't have any hobbies then, and so I didn't.

Now I can have a hobby, with a lot of moderation. I kind of feel like it's sad that that hobby ended up being saltwater. Because it can be so expensive! I'm trying to go about it the cheapest I can. Not getting into corals would be the best thing to do, or getting into very basic ones. It's the biggest reason I keep a nano tank. It may be more work on my part to keep it running smoothly, but it is a lot cheaper than keeping a large tank. And it also limits me on how much I can spend on livestock, which is also a good thing haha.

I have grand ideas for tanks for when I have more money, but being a single mom to 2 kids means they will most likely always just be ideas.