New 75g Reef Tank

silverado61

You are going to dip your coral in insect killer? Could you explain the reason to me? I'm new to the coral part. It seems if it kills bugs it would kill coral. Obviously it doesn't or I imagin you wouldn't use it.
Before you run out and buy it and start dipping all your corals in it, it's not used anywhere near full strength. There's a formula for deluting it to make it safe for corals. Research it.

snakeblitz33

Well, today went pretty good. I kind of got to relax a little, which is always great. I have been doing a bunch of reading on lighting systems lately and I have watched a few of the longer youtube videos featuring Mike Paletta and Sanjay Joshi. They have been testing all kinds of LEDs and stuff and they keep going back to T5HO and metal halides. It's kind of disappointing, really. I had my heart set on LEDs and the more I research, the more people are going back to the T5s and metal halides.

I guess I will be ordering that 6 bulb T5HO unit much sooner then I thought. I'm fine with T5's, I think I might even add a blue LED strip for extra effects. As far as I know right now, LEDs are great for soft corals and LPS, but some LPS and most SPS don't respond well to certain types of LED light... and as Pegasus has suggested on more than one occasion, it's hit or miss whether your getting a good LED unit or not when you order from overseas - which it comes to certain types of corals.

Apparently all the fish are getting enough to eat. I keep seeing them poop occasionally - so Im guessing that they are doing great as far as I can see. The two tangs that I recently added are so friendly to me and to each other. I'm very happy with those purchases.

The next two things I want to add are a lighting system and at least one variable speed powerhead. I'm working on both of them.

snakeblitz33

I think I am going to come up with a binder to keep track of everything. Expenses, dates, maintenance, notes, test results, graphs for test results and so on. I think it will help me be better organized.

pegasus

Keep up with everything... except for expenses. You don't want to know how much this hobby costs... LMAO!!!

snakeblitz33

You know, I just realized that I didn't even test for ammonia and nitrite before I put the first fish in. Whoops.

If the paperwork clears the bank on Monday, it looks like my wife will be buying a house and moving into it in May. May. That's about two months away. That's ok though, I will try to be content growing coralline and feeding fish until the tank gets set back up again.

In the new house - the utility room is huge! The wall in the utility room shares a wall with the kitchen/living room area. ... ... yeah, In wall tank here I come. I might end up having the fish store hold my fish for a few weeks while I build the tank into the wall. Surely that would be cheaper than replacing $200+ worth of fish.

I am excited about the move. We get to know more on Monday whether the loan officer will put it through or not, since one major variable recently changed. Crossing our fingers.

This is simple well set up tank, again not much of rocks, did you set up your rocks all the way the back side of the tank, the reason I asking is I about reset my tank. Because of the caves, I could see you are going to have few death spots.

snakeblitz33

The flow around the tank manages to collect detritus in two major spots on the sandbed that I can regularly siphon out of the tank.

I like the rock wall look. That's what I have been used to for the last ten years.

There is a two inch gap on the back of the rocks that I can use a turkey baster behind and or a small powerhead.

flchevygrl

hey snake...
In one of your posts you mentioned something about drilling holes in live rock to use as frag rock... what bits and or size you gonna use?
Was wanting to drill a rock or 2 of mine but kinda worried id shatter it.

snakeblitz33

Unless your rock is extremely porous, I wouldn't worry about shattering it. Most frag plugs have a 1/4" stem or slightly larger. You should buy your own frag plugs and know the size before hand. If your buying corals that can be dipped in a pest control solution, you should remove the plug before dipping and then rinse and glue to a new plug to keep pest eggs from getting in the tank.

novahobbies

Just got caught up on your build. Slow and steady wins the race! Lookin' good right now, and I like the tangs!

Couple things......why break down the QT tank, even if you don't need it right now? If it's in an unobtrusive place, why not leave it set up and cycled so you can QT your own fish when they come in? You KNOW you're going to see some fish that you're going to want to get down the road. There's always that ONE more fish or coral to get, y'know. ;-)
Also, I have also used the Bayer Advanced for coral dipping. There's also a new product that's coming out right now by a guy I know down here. Company name is ME Corals, and he has a dip that uses the same active ingredient as Bayer, but without all the other junk in it. I've used it and it seems to work. You can check out his stuff here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ME-Coral/381497718601936
I don't know about who you were reading, but I know a lot of people who use LEDs who get good color and growth. I'm currently using RapidLEDs Onyx fixtures, and I love them. Onyx fixtures are from a US company, come with a full warranty, and are quality-checked to provide an accurate color spectrum and PAR level. I have good color on my SPS and excellent growth that can be seen on my fast growers such as Montis and Seriatoporas. Not trying to sell you on anything, just saying I like them.

How is the house paperwork coming? I know how involved that stuff can be.....it's a pain in the rear!

snakeblitz33

Hey there Richard, thanks for chiming in. Good to see you on the forum again.

I broke down the quarantine because there really isn't time or space to keep it. My LFS quarantines my fish and their hospital tanks have copper in them. They also do it for a minimal charge, so I'm not worried about it.

I'll have to check out ME. Sounds promising, if it works properly. There has been many people that have used Bayer without problems though. Hard pressed to pay more if the regular stuff works. I'll look into it though, if I get more into delicate acroporas.

I like the onyx lights too. I'm just cheap. I have not pulled the trigger on buying anything yet because of my cheap skate nature these days. I'll look more into them soon.

The home loan stuff fell through. It sucks, but there are alternatives. We are still young, and decided to buy a temporary trailer so that we can pay off our student loans easily and save for some land and build our own house from scratch. It's the long way around, but we will get there.

Since the new trailer is smaller and has three bedrooms, I'm having a difficult time finding a place for this 75g tank. I might have to sell off the tank and stand and get a smaller tank to fit in a corner. It just depends if I can find room or not.