Hobby or money pit?

deejeff0442

The wife an i have been building tbis house for 2 yrs now.been living in this 38 foot rv .i better be in the house by xmass or i think i will be single.again.my wife wants 3 things in the house. A fireplace .a soaking tub so i made a spot for a jetted tub and also a front foyer.which is a waste of space i think.so i get my fish tank.which i would get anyway since i will be paying for it.problem she gets he stuff before me lol.oh well happy wife happy life i hear

john suh

Not a bad idea, just remember what ev was in there tank will now be in yours. Good and bad
Speaking of which, what I thought was "Dead" Live rock, hah. Was watching my crabs feed when I noticed a spaghetti like worm protruding in and out of a chunk of live rock. Was freaky looking but after some google searches sounds like its reef safe and actually good for the tank. Some of these things must be able to survive a good time out of water :)

snakeblitz33

Where there is life, there is hope.

It's not that I don't have the money. Lol. We work full time and I have a decent budget. My priorities are just changing. I still want the tank. I'm just,... Blah.

john suh

Where there is life, there is hope.

It's not that I don't have the money. Lol. We work full time and I have a decent budget. My priorities are just changing. I still want the tank. I'm just,... Blah.
Understandable. I can see maintenance being lots easier and quicker with a smaller tank. A 20 pct water change on a 100 gallon or a 20pct on a 30? While I love to have a large tank, my 30 long is perfect for me and my inhabitants and while the initial costs were steep to get everything going, am in the maintain stage now and it will be smooth sailing the rest of the way.

seecrabrun

yes, I do weekly water changes on my tanks. 10% on each which is 2 gallons and 4 gallons. Or 1 bucket on 1 and 2 buckets on the other. Much more manageable!

snakeblitz33

A CADlights 18g nano is big enough for my new place, I think. With the upgrades, I think it's worth it.

This sucks. I finally get a decent sized tank again and have to move.

snakeblitz33

902 square feet with a wife and two kids.

I'll move it into the new place and see if it can stay somewhere. If not, I guess I'll just downgrade.

flower

902 square feet with a wife and two kids.

I'll move it into the new place and see if it can stay somewhere. If not, I guess I'll just downgrade.
LOL..I have a little over 400 square feet ...So it's a little, little house. I have my 47" flat screen TV mounted on the wall, and a 90g tank in the living room(takes up a whole wall). The book case sits just under the TV... so I had room for a sofa (at first I thought not, but the bookcase fit) 2 easy chairs, no coffee table, but I do have small end tables between the chairs. I lived in a 3 bedroom 70' mobile home...with 3 teens, my husband and I, and a big dog, I had room for a 55g tank. I learned how to make the most of my space.

So you should absolutely be able to swing a 75g tank. The 55g, 75g and 90g are all 4 foot tanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
All the considerations we have to make in this hobby is what has kept me from setting up again. I guess I'm not willing unless everything is right for it. That would mean no need to move, living situation that accommodates what I want to do, and affordability. I can't see investing in this hobby if you have to change living residences frequently. That hasn't been my case except I had to relocate to another town 10 yrs ago and take down my reef. That was a very difficult thing to do for me and I don't want to do it again. At the end, it comes down to what you want to do. If it means more to you to have a tank set up regardless of what is going on in life, then go for it. SW fish keeping is expensive, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Its a monetary and a personal investment/commitment.