Feeding Fish

StuartGA1

It seems that the recommended feeding schedule for most fish is two or three times a day. However, I leave early, before my tank lights come on, and don't get home until about 5pm. I usually feed about 7:30 pm. Should I be putting some food in before I leave? Also, many people say they turn off the power heads before feeding. I never have but wonder if there is a benefit to doing that?

All ideas and comments are welcome.:cool:

pegasus

It doesn't matter what time you feed your fish... they will adapt to your schedule. I always leave my powerheads running so food doesn't fall between the rocks. My fish don't seem to mind, as they seem to enjoy chasing food down. It also chops some of the food up and blows it onto my corals, so they get to eat a little as well. I suppose if you have comatose fish, it would probably be better to turn the powerheads off, but since my fish are active swimmers, I leave them on. :cool:

StuartGA1

Thanks for the replys, both are helpful. How about the number of feedings? Is one a day good, as long as it is adequate? Or should I try to get two feedings in?

bang guy

Unless you have an animal that requires frequent feedings like Anthias or Seahorses, once a day or once every other day should be sufficient. You need to feed food dense in nutrition though.

flower

Hi,

I have seahorses, they are slow eaters so I turn off the pumps while they feed... fish like to chase/hunt their food down, so for regular fish I don't. There is more for your fish to eat besides what you feed them, live rock is loaded with little critters and bits of algae growth. I'm sure you noticed your fish nip and pick at the rock, they are eating and grazing.

I worked the night shift for many years, I had my fish lights on my schedule so I could enjoy watching them. I had a wood panel cover I put in front of the tank in the day to block out light (I had a very bright room) I wanted the lights on through the night when I was up and about.

If you usually don't turn on your lights until you get home...you don't have to change your schedule, just feed them a little after the lights are turned on. There is no reason to turn on the lights, feed the fish and turn off the lights again. That isn't a natural cycle of lighting to leave the lights on for 15 minutes or so for the fish to feed. If you turn on your lights in the morning, and that's when you want to feed your fish, fine...but that would mean that soon after you get home at 7:00pm, it would be time to turn off the lights, and then you don't get to enjoy your fish tank.

I don't recommend feeding the fish more then once a day, overfeeding is the #1 cause of pollution in fish tanks, which leads to all kinds of cyanobacteria outbreaks and nuisance algae. I also don't recommend starving your fish because you are afraid of the above mentioned. I say that because some people feed their fish once a week or once every few days...I don't think that's a good thing, and it will stunt the fish's growth.

pegasus

A good rule of thumb is to feed only what can be completely eaten in 3 minutes (or less). Some food may escape into the rocks, but that's what the cleanup crew is for. Leaving the powerheads on during feeding will help keep the food suspended, and give the fish a better chance of eating it before it slips into a crack or crevice. Just my 2c...

jay0705

I feed on a normal wrk day over a 3-4 hr period. Little here, little more later. Days off I will feed am then pm