Percula Clownfish (What do you guys feed them?)

john suh

I got two of these guys, they about juvenile size, bout 1.5 inches. They seem to be picky feeders. Thus far I have tried Mysis Shrimp, Freeze dried Bloodworms, Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets, New Life spectrum Marine fish formula, Instant Ocean Marine Chips. They take them in and spit them out. I spent more money just trying different brand food on these guys.

jay0705

Ha ha young tank raised clowns can be picky. They only know what they've been fed. You can ask where u got them from what they fed them. In my experience brine and hikari marine s pellets are often excepted.

bang guy

I've never found Clownfish to be picky.

They are very territorial though and Percula are at the extreme end of territorial. Have you had them long enough to settle in? Once moved they can take over a week to get accustomed to the new environment.

john suh

They are youngins and from what I gather, they settled in as they are not shy, hang at the front of the tank, specially when I am watching em. Very active swimmers and they hang together, even sleep together.. That said want to get food in these little guys...and my efforts have been futile Will have to try some brine shrimp tomorrow.

jay0705

Just don't keep them on brine. Its fairly void of nutrition. But atleast its something. I feed spirulina brine bc my tangs eat anything atleast that way they get some alage

silverado61

My suggestion would be just let them get hungry. They'll eat.

How long have you had them?
That's the way I did it. I do feed a variety of foods but if they don't eat certain foods, they just don't eat it. The rest of the tank will. I'm not going to be spending a small fortune in food just to find out what they like best.

jay0705

That's the way I did it. I do feed a variety of foods but if they don't eat certain foods, they just don't eat it. The rest of the tank will. I'm not going to be spending a small fortune in food just to find out what they like best.
Silver be nice! Lol

john suh

Ha ha young tank raised clowns can be picky. They only know what they've been fed. You can ask where u got them from what they fed them. In my experience brine and hikari marine s pellets are often excepted.
Thanks for the tip!! Brine Shrimp was the key. They downed that like they hadn't eaten in days :D Makes me feel better they got food in them. Hopefully they'll ween off this stuff so I can mix their nutrients more.

jay0705

There are things u can soak the brine in to help it a bit, but unless its newly hatched its not very nutritious. Most fish will eat it tho its like fish crack lol. My pair of occ where very picky when I got them too, now 3 yrs later anything is food.

trigger40

mine will eat my hand :confused:. lol but my clown fish where the same when i first got them. so i asked my lfs what they feed them and feed them that. and now it will eat anything.