Protein Skimmer

Connorer

All i did was share my experience with one, which removed the ammonia. There really was no need to have a massive go at me.

deejeff0442

I believe it was someone else who posted no skimmer equals dead fish.not you.what you posted was just fine.believe me i have been at this for 30 yrs and post things that some dont agree with.this is why i always say its either my opinion or experience.

I had a 140 gallon saltwater tank in the early 80s. My substrate was dolomite, I had two 200 gph power heads sucking water through an under gravel filter, a hob filter pumping about 600 gph. Water came from the tap, and I'm talking Houston water. You can't even make ice with that crap.

I had over 50 fish (and I'm not talking firefish and damsels) including 6 large angels and 2 flame angels who all got along, dead corals for decoration, and that tank thrived. Not everyone will have luck like that, but don't tell me skimmers are a life or death necessity.

I use one so I'm not trying to justify a decision here.
Interesting, you have two flame angels, which I believe you added them in different times. I have a bicolor angel, now I will try to add flame angels, maybe tomorrow?

I HAVE NO PROTEIN SKIMMER

reefkeeperZ

All i did was share my experience with one, which removed the ammonia. There really was no need to have a massive go at me.
Actually your post was great showing that tanks can benefit from skimmers and that you love the function. aliens post saying that with out a skimmer you have dead fish in weeks was extremist at best, when tons of people know for a fact that its fairly easy to run a tank skimmer less.

Connorer

Sorry everyone, Got a bit hot-headed too easily without reading the whole thing properly; my mistake, I do apologise.