Shouldn't fish be scared to death of approaching a green carpet anemone?

ClaptonsGhost

What, I gotta repeat the question!?!

I figured fish would instinctively stay away from the deadly green carpet anemone. Not only do my fish not stay away, but when I feed Ol' Greenie they actually dive into him to steal his food. Even when there's no food they go practically inside his mouth to look for food. Is this normal? I know fish will always appear to be hungry but I can't stick anything in the tank without them voraciously tearing it apart, even minutes after their daily massive feeding.

Is this normal or should I sleep with the lights on at night?

lmforbis

When I had one years ago I also had a Clarkii clown. He kept the other fish away most of the time but the carpet still ate not only most of my fish but shrimp and a brittle star.

jay0705

I know a fella on a diff forum a nem ate his sailfin tang lol. Clowns are Immune to the sting but most other fish are not. So yes they should stay away

reefkeeperZ

no they shouldn't instictively stay away, the anemone is designed to eat fish and other things, if its appearance would keep fish away then its appearance would change to be more suitable for capturing prey.

jay0705

I agree in theory. Yet I just recently added a pair of nems to my tank. The fish approach but never get too close. I think certain fish do "learn" to stay away. Yet others eat nems like candy. I believe in nature the nems flourish bc of the abundance of prey. Way too many fish for all to have "learned" danger danger

pegasus

It's strange the fish don't get stuck on it's tentacles. It's also strange that the nem doesn't close up once it gets food, and especially if it's being harassed by food-stealing fish. If this is the case, you might do better to feed it after lights out. I've never seen a fish go after food in my GSA, and only once did I see a fish try to host with it... a domino damsel. Not sure how it got away with it, as my nem is the stickiest thing I've ever touched... lol!

ClaptonsGhost

Well, today I diverted the fish with a chunk of shrimp, then lowered another chunk into the nem. This time he took it and immediately closed up around it. The Golden Butterfly and Blue Face still tried to get in and grab the shrimp. These guys really are crazy. It appears they are eating the green tentacle tips because the nem is bald on a section of its body.

btw, surprised I did not get one notification that all of you responded. That's why it took me so long to get back, I thought the thread was dead.

pegasus

Well, today I diverted the fish with a chunk of shrimp, then lowered another chunk into the nem. This time he took it and immediately closed up around it. The Golden Butterfly and Blue Face still tried to get in and grab the shrimp. These guys really are crazy. It appears they are eating the green tentacle tips because the nem is bald on a section of its body.

btw, surprised I did not get one notification that all of you responded. That's why it took me so long to get back, I thought the thread was dead.
I'm not totally surprised it the Golden Butterfly is nipping at the nem, as corals and invertebrates are it's native diet, and the Blue Face Angel is noted for nipping at the oral disc of anemones.

A bald spot on the nem, eh? Could be it's nutsack... lol! (sorry, just read the other post on how to keep the BTA from moving after dark)

I've noticed that I'm not receiving any notifications, either. Hmm....

ClaptonsGhost

Well, now, things are getting even more interesting regarding my "favorite" LFS. They sold me, neigh, they PUSHED me to get the Golden butterfly, knowing I have mushrooms and anemones in my tank. They sold me the nems knowing I had the Blue Face, and just this past Sunday, I went to buy a LTA they were selling for 20 bucks. Not only didn't they warn me about it being butterfly num nums, but they gave it to me for free!!!

I had found another LFS who will order stuff for you. I ordered a flame angel and it's been doing great for over a month. But I went in over a week ago to ask about some butterflies I wanted him to order, and he NEVER got back to me, even though he usually conducts business by text. Lot of weird people in N.C.

P.S. Usually i get a notification after the first response only. I got one for your response. But I didn't get any after the last first response.

reefkeeperZ

Just goes to show the practice of "go in eye it, go home research it, go back buy it" work out better than listening to a guy at the fish store most of the time. A lot of people that work in those stores may have decent knowledge but have gaps in what they think of when making a sale, its easy to forget a relevant piece of information. Never impulse buy research first every time.

ClaptonsGhost

I've already got a percula who shows no interest in any of the nems. I know it would fight with another clown and I've had enough aggression in the tank. All is peaceful now. The green carpet has survived for almost 3 months now so...maybe he's a masochist. :eek: