Hydor Smart Level Control - When does it turn on the pump?

ClaptonsGhost

Just picked up a Hydor Smart Level Control, used, from my good ol' pals at my favorite LFS. If this thing is no good and they refuse to give me my money back it will be a dark day in the aquarium biz. OK, with that out of the way, when does this thing turn on the pump to top off my sump? When the level goes below the minimum sensor or when it goes below the maximum sensor? I set the sensors so that both were below the water level I want to keep, both sensors lit up, and later on when the water level dropped below the max sensor, the light went off. Minimum sensor light is still on.

Will it start pumping once the it goes below minimum? For those of you who have one of these things. I've done some research and a lot of people think it's a piece of crap. I paid 60 bucks for it plus a compatible pump. So if it's not a lemon I got a good deal. Anyway, let me know about my question. Thanks!

P.S. If the level drops below minimum and the pump comes on I will update this thread.

Last edited:

ClaptonsGhost

I don't know why, but since I installed the ATO, my water is clearer than ever. Maybe keeping the level constant is a help. I do know my skimmer has never worked better.

lmforbis

I love having an ATO. Mine is just a simple gravity system with a float valve like a toilet just much smaller. It makes life so much easier. Not sure the water is any cleaner in my case but I like only dealing with top offs once a week when I fill the tank.

ClaptonsGhost

Agreed! With my back acting up lately its been a godsend. I love watching the level lights go off and then come back on as the water level rises. Almost as much fun as watching my skimmer working. Fish? What fish?:D

ClaptonsGhost

BTW I figured out why mY water looks clearer. Its because with the water level constant I'm not getting microbubbles in the tank.

pegasus

I have a float-type ATO attached to my RO/DI unit, so I don't have to monitor water levels in a reservoir, or deal with any more electronics other than what's on the RO/DI. It has it's down side, also. I have seen micro bubbles coming into the tank, a result of the pressure switch on the RO/DI unit having stopped working (I have a booster pump), and the return section of my fuge was almost completely empty. Fortunately, I keep a few gallons of RO/DI water on hand, which tides me over until I can replace the switch.

Water level sensors attached to a pump in a reservoir. Float levels attached to a gravity-fed reservoir. Float levels attached to an RO/DI unit. Which is best? Hard to say, as any of these methods can fail. Pump failure? No top-off. Forget to refill reservoir? No top-off. Faulty pressure switch? No top-off.

I suppose the only "fail-safe method" is to use all methods... simultaneously. :confused:

ClaptonsGhost

You sure put a lot of thought into microbubbles ;-) In my case, what I meant is when I'm sleeping the water level in the return area of the sump would get down to where the top of the pumps are exposed. Also when I try to be like all the rest of you and don't check my skimmer for a whole day and it overflows (doesn't happen much anymore although it happened today because I cranked it a bit to get more solids out of the water, ended up pouring them back in, grrrr....).

Anyway, the only real fail safe method is to do it manually. Check the level first thing in the morning and before going to bed. And even that method will cause pretty big fluctuations in the level.

pegasus

You sure put a lot of thought into microbubbles ;-) In my case, what I meant is when I'm sleeping the water level in the return area of the sump would get down to where the top of the pumps are exposed. Also when I try to be like all the rest of you and don't check my skimmer for a whole day and it overflows (doesn't happen much anymore although it happened today because I cranked it a bit to get more solids out of the water, ended up pouring them back in, grrrr....).

Anyway, the only real fail safe method is to do it manually. Check the level first thing in the morning and before going to bed. And even that method will cause pretty big fluctuations in the level.
LOL... I was talking about the water level getting below the 90 degree elbows on my pump intakes that are pointed towards the bottom of the sump! :eek:

Check the skimmer every day??? I go down to the basement and check mine once a week, and that's only because it's time to clean it out. :p (I do peek down there every once in awhile to make sure everything's running okay... including water level)

If I had to depend on remembering to top the water off manually every day, I may as well speed up the process... by draining it and turning it into a reptile habitat! Sorry, your fail safe method won't work for me. I suffer from CRS... :confused:

ClaptonsGhost

Cloudy Reef Syndrome? o_O

My fail safe method wasn't doing it for me either. Hence purchasing the ATO instead of a juicy steak. So all your fixin's are in the basement, sweeeeet. Last time I had a basement was in NY. My 1/2 bathroom is on the other side of the wall behind my tank. Many a time I've thought about converting it into the tank's operation center, but, just my luck, as soon as I do someone will want to buy the house for a ridiculous amount and that would be the deal killer. Oooooookay I'm starting to ramble..