Need ideas for fish in tank **UPDATED 6-19-15** pics

Hello there. I have a 46g saltwater tank that's been up and running for over a year now. I need some suggestions on what other fish I can put in the tank. I have

1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Yellowtail Damsel
2 Snowflake Clowns
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 - Chocolate Chip Starfish
and some hermit crabs and snails

thinking maybe getting a light upgrade so I can get an anemone for the snowflake clowns.....

Looking to add some fish but not sure would work well with my setup....

Thanks

jay0705

I felt compelled to comment bc I like ur name lol.
Fire fish, royal gramma, hectors goby(if u have sand), running over a yr, mandarin draggonet, scooter blenny

This pic is from September but pretty much the same. The live rock has a little more coralline algae on it.
46 gallon bow front
40 lbs live sand
Emporer 400 filter

I had 3 damsels but when my heater broke I lost 2.
I have also had a scooter blenny at one point but he only last about 5 -6 weeks.

I'm hoping to visit a saltwater fish store on Saturday to see the fish but I was at a ***** to buy some dog food what do you think of these that I saw at peto

Zebra Barred Dartfish

Sleeper Gold Head Goby

Banggai Cardinal

Also does anyone have any ideas on things I could add to throw some more color in the tank such as décor? I was thinking of just leaving the rock for a natural look but now I'm not so sure????

Thanks again

pegasus

"Fully" cured rock can go directly into the tank. This is rock that's been in saltwater for a good period of time, taken from it's container, put into another container to transport, then taken directly from that container and put in your tank. If the rock has been out of the water for any significant amount of time, it may be best to re-cure it in a separate tank (or any container) with heated saltwater. If there is any die-off on the rock due to exposure to air for a prolonged period, then you don't want it polluting your tank. Unless you personally pick out the rock, watch it being prepped for transport, and haul it yourself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to quarantine it. This can serve a dual purpose. You can watch for a spike in ammonia (indicating die-off of some microfauna and microflora), and you can also keep an eye out for any unwanted hitchhikers. Just my 2c...

You can also add dry rock to your tank at any time. Since it has nothing on it that will cause a spike, it's safe to add directly to the tank. It's best to give it a good blasting with tap water (garden hose with nozzle works great) to remove the powdery residue. Let it dry in the sun for a day, and put where you want it in the tank. If you have any live rock in the tank, it will seed the new rock, and in a few months you won't know the difference between the old rock and new rock. Saves a ton of money for those of us on a budget...

Last edited:
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of rock per gallon of water.
It is not much people do 1 to 1 lb rock nowadays, fish need space to swim, go check Mindy and Ghost's tanks for the topic (shows your tank), I don't believe both of them are 1 to 1, both tanks are look great.

I will add six line and royal gamma for their color addition.

jay0705

Depends how worried u are about them. If it comes out of a fishless tank fish disease are ruled out

With the live rock, has anyone here used glue/expoxy to stack the rock?

I assume its easier to glue the rock out of the water. Any suggestions on gluing the rock... Add at least 15 lbs this weekend hopefully, might get some flatter pieces and build a swim through cave. Also might cut a pipe to bury in the sand to add more swim throughs

pegasus

I use epoxy or super glue gel to attach frags to rockwork, and I've used epoxy to glue rock formations. It's much easier to do it outside the tank, and dry rock gives the best results. Live rock can be epoxied together, but it has to be clean and dry in the contact areas, which makes it a bit more difficult to get a good bond. I'm hoping my supplier gets some more flat rocks in soon, as I want to build some new structures for my tanks. I bought 15 lbs. awhile back, and now wish I had bought 30 lbs. Next time I'm getting double cut rocks (flat on both sides), as it's a lot easier for them to cut them than it is for me. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the last batch, but ended up with a lot of broken pieces. I love flat rocks because they're easy to cut and shape, and make great platforms for corals. Just my 2c...

Hello there. Just wanted to give an update on my tank and also had some questions.....
I added more live rock up to 45 lbs and now my tanks has
1 - Snowflake Clown
1- Coral beauty Angel
1- Yellowtail Damsel
1- Bangai Cardinal
2- Bar Goby
1 - Royal Gramma
1- Cleaner Shrimp
2- Chocolate Chip Starfish
various Blue Leg hermits and snails

Noticed when I was moving live rock around I found two little starfish. Look like brittle one was the size of fingernail and other about the size of a quarter.

Also have a bunch of what I'm hoping are baby snails and not an unwanted hitch hiker....

Thanks for looking......