My own newbie thread

iidylii

well when I bought the tank setup all of the rock that he was using in the tank had been sitting out drying for quite some time...and I watched some bulk reef supply videos about curing your rock...now they say to make sure your rock is cured before you add it to your tank...since I will be curing my rock inside the actual tank I will be eventually using...I thought I should probably throw out all the water that will be used in the curing process to remove any harmful things that may have come from curing the rock? idk maybe that makes no sense lol....but anyways I was told after I cure the rock for 3-4 weeks...I should then empty the tank and refill the tank at which point the tank will take approximately 1-2 more weeks to cycle and will then be ready to add livestock? this is the impression I got when I talk to the BRS guys who I actually called on the phone after watching the video...but anyways if I am not doing this properly any advice would be helpful as always :D
Does anyone else have any advice or knowledge about this post I made?

I'm still a few weeks away from this step I think but I just wanna get some plans ready...

iidylii

No jay I was more talking about a big water change but I have decided I'm not gonna do 100% water change...I'm just gonna do like 60 gallons of the 150 gallons...

I am wondering though...does anyone know if I need a sand bed for calerpa algae to grow?

iidylii

Another question if you all don't mind :~} ...when I go to quarantine new fish for a few weeks...I am of course no expert so how am I really to know if my new fish is ok to put in my tank...I mean obviously if it has ich all over it that's one thing but besides that is it basically if it is acting like a happy fish during this time then it must be healthy?
Thanks

lmforbis

I would say normal behavior for the type of fish and eating well. Basically just observe them. I put my quarantine in my living room where I can see it all the time. If something shows up you can treat the affected fish without exposing any of your other fish.

iidylii

So my next question is...I work at somewhat of a water treatment plant...I'm wondering if it would be ok to use the water we produce...what it does is first goes through the RO filters...then travels through carbon media and then goes through our zeolite media...would this be ok to fill my tank with this water? I'm not sure what other info u may need but lemme know :~}. It would sure beat using my own rodi system up at home I would say lol

bang guy

Do you have access to the analysis of the product water? Phosphate and Nitrate levels would be my only concern. If those are low then I think it would be perfectly fine water to use.

iidylii

I am definitely gonna bring it home and do a test kit on it...I don't have a phosphate test but...I was just wondering about the zeolite part of it...I guess I wasn't sure if it was ok to run it through that

I'm also pretty sure it's not going through any DI media... So

Last edited:

bang guy

ohhhh after adding salt.

How long after you mixed the salt did you test the PH?

How do you mix your saltwater?