Think My Tank Is Too Small?

Dflo

I agree with trigger. I have 2 blue jaw triggers, Niger and black Hawaiian with cleaner shrimp and never mess with it. Black Hawaiian actually loves getting cleaned everyday

jay0705

People say skunk cleaner shrimp can be kept w snowflake eels! Idk bout this but I have seen them w small eels

Well maybe I should get a Trigger for a excuse to upgrade to a 125 lol

"Before I read the first post in this thread I already knew the answer to the question in the title - YES. My rule is that whatever tank you have is too small, and you just have to convince your wife/husband/SO that you must have a larger tank. Over the 40+ years that I've kept salt water fish I have gone from 29 to 55 to 110 to 220 gallons. Next stop - obviously, 440 gallons. Just don't tell my wife, yet."

john suh

I'd stay away from Damsels completely but hey it's your tank. I started out with 4....and am down to 1. I don't mind a little friction now and then but when a particular species is on their tankmates 24/7 relentlessly to the point they are afraid to come out for food drops and hide in a corner. The one I was left with, was able to finally catch him and he's sitting in my 10 gallon QT tank as his final resting spot. He can fight his reflection for all I care.

jay0705

I was on craigslist earlier. 10 gal sw tank. So I look into it. The tank has 1 chromis,7 damsels, and a clown!!!! Some people like there damsels

lmforbis

Personally I love damsels just not enough to put them in my tank. Someday maybe in another tank with only damsels.

jay0705

I have one yellow tail. They are nice looking fish. Mine behaves I no complaints, but he's not in a tank w passive tank mates either

I'd stay away from Damsels completely but hey it's your tank. I started out with 4....and am down to 1. I don't mind a little friction now and then but when a particular species is on their tankmates 24/7 relentlessly to the point they are afraid to come out for food drops and hide in a corner. The one I was left with, was able to finally catch him and he's sitting in my 10 gallon QT tank as his final resting spot. He can fight his reflection for all I care.
What type of Damsel fish? How big was the tank?

john suh

What type of Damsel fish? How big was the tank?
The blue body ones with yellow tail. My tank is a 30 long. Do a google search for "Damsel aggression" and enjoy the read. There are hobbyists with far larger tanks that have had similiar issue so good luck if you go that route and I hope all goes well, :D:D

john suh

I have one yellow tail. They are nice looking fish. Mine behaves I no complaints, but he's not in a tank w passive tank mates either
When I had my last damsel in my tank, he took no crap from the Coral Banded shrimp and vice versa. Usually when his tankmates a clown fish or Royal Gramma get near the CBS and he flicks them away they swim off. The damsel comes back for more and sits there posturing, lol. He'll actuually approach the CBS with his body side and flick the sand onto the CBS..sorta like you see baseball managers kicking dirt onto the umpires, o_O

Last edited:

pegasus

The blue body ones with yellow tail. My tank is a 30 long. Do a google search for "Damsel aggression" and enjoy the read. There are hobbyists with far larger tanks that have had similiar issue so good luck if you go that route and I hope all goes well, :D:D
I bought three yellowtails and put them in my 125 gallon tank. It didn't take long at all until I was down to one. It's been with me a couple of years, but it's mates didn't last a couple of days. Now that it has the run of the tank, it doesn't bother any of the other fish...

trigger40

if you want to do the triggerfish with the damsels that would work. i have kept two damsels with my humu trigger for months without any problems. the trigger would beat up on the damsels every now and then.

trigger40

Trigger 40 and Dflo what are your tank size?

Trigger 40 current livestock?
at the moment i have a 40g soft coral tank with inverts. in that tank i have a ocellaris clown fish, eibli angel, small powder blue tang, and my 3'' humu trigger. im upgrading to a 100g for the tang.

deejeff0442

Sorry didnt read all the posts but just wanted to say tank is too small lol duh.we would all have 500 gallon tanks if we had the room and money right?