Whole house water filter?

pegasus

Not much I can do but complain to the company. They don't care about their customers, since you have to legally have public water service in the state of Louisiana. They charge $30 flat fee and $14.95 for the first 2k gallons and $4.95 for every 1k gallons after that. I use about 5k gallons a month where I am at, which means my minimum bill will be about $60 a month for this rusty water. Paying that much should mean that we are getting quality water- but that's not the case.

I'm still thinking that a 100 micron polyester mesh and a 50 micron sediment filter along with an RV water softener will take out most of the particulates and soften the water. The drinking water and ice maker will be ran by the RO/DI unit.

In addition to the filtration, I'm also going to change out the aerators on the sinks and the shower heads to more water efficient models. Maybe that will save some water.

Having a newborn, I'm going to need clean water to mix formula in,.... Just really concerns me.
That should help, but if your water looks anything like the water in that tub, you'll constantly be maintaining the filters. You'll also burn through a lot of RO filters, too. You legally have to have public water in LA? Wow, that sucks. We get to do things a little differently next door... :confused:

Dcullen

Wow, I look into your local issue, what a mess. It appears that they are using a polymer floculating agent and their filtration regime is not able to handle the load. Seems like some of the unreacted agent is passing into the pipes and floculating there. A whole house filter will likely remove the floc, but I'd be concerned about how often the filter will be come plugged up. A backwashable sand filter would protect your water softener and RO from being damaged by excess particulates.

snakeblitz33

Thanks man.

As it looks now, my tap water is clear! In fact, it's been 250ppm TDS less than the other house I was at.

2quills

Have you tested the water for hardness? You may be able to get away with just a sediment filter.