How to lower the Temperature

bang guy

Ice is not a viable solution. There just isn't enough energy exchange there. Evaporation is the most efficient but if you can't get that working well enough then the chiller is #2.

How about this idea, my water is high enough to reach the top glass, what if I put the two dry icy on the top of glass (it will never touch the water).

bang guy

I just did it and find out I could just open the sliding door, let the outside air come in (less than 72)
That's fine but it's the evaporation that removes the energy, not the air temperature. So if the outside air is more humid than the room air then it's not going to work as well even if the air temp is a little lower.

I using the fan plus air from out side, the room temperature is now 78, but tank temperature remind 81.7. It must be water in the
Canister Filter.

Last edited:

mandy111

We in here in aussie, are very used to heat waves. Last summer we had over 10 days of between 40-46 degrees. We all froze 2lt plastic coke bottles full or RODI water, and placed in return section of sump when things go too hot. We had 6 bottles that we would rotate, they do a pretty reasonable job of not dropping the temp so much, but stopping it from overheating in the first place. We also have auto fans, set to come on if the water temp gets to 26.5. It takes the hot air off the sump.
If you have your sump in a cabinet, open the doors and let the heat out as well. this helps a lot.

seecrabrun

Here in Alabama it's not unusually to be over 100F for many days at a time. I'm already starting to see issue and that's with the AC on. I'm considering putting a window unit next to the tank, cheaper than a chiller lol

Here in Alabama it's not unusually to be over 100F for many days at a time. I'm already starting to see issue and that's with the AC on. I'm considering putting a window unit next to the tank, cheaper than a chiller lol
It depends, I remember I paid over $600 in last August for the AC.

2quills

I live in south texas and a couple of small computer sized fans have worked wonders for me. I'm also near the coast and it gets rather humid around here.

mandy111

I normally open the central air in June to September, now kind of early. Are you sure is 46 C? that is like 115F for 10 days.
Yes. we had 10 days with the lowest being 40 and highest being 45.7. Horrid.

This is the stats from this years, wasn't as bad as last years.
January 2014

• 13 - 42.1 °C (107.8 °F)[7]
  • 14 - 45.1 °C (113.2 °F)
  • 15 - 43.7 °C (110.7 °F)
  • 16 - 44.2 °C (111.6 °F)
  • 17 - 42.7 °C (108.9 °F)
High Max (°C)45.744.741.936.931.125.423.130.434.339.043.043.445.7

Problem with those sort of temp is the overnight temps remain high also, some time it only drops to between 29 & 34. so you get up in the morning and its still boiling.