conclusively inconclusive

reefkeeperZ

on the bright side the pain in my left side is minimal today even though the headache is ungodly. I'm not as short of breath today either, still exhausted and lethargic but maybe 3 days of quitting smoking is beginning to help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why the doctor does not give a 24-48 narcotic to knock out the headache pain cycle. That might end it. The HBP is not so high and that could just be stress due to pain.

reefkeeperZ

I don't know beth. But I am not a fan of those types of medications. If i'm not in complete agony I would rather not take them. Maybe he thinks a narcotic might exacerbate whatever the problem is. Getting a direct answer out of some one thats only seen me once for 5 minutes (my normal provider that I have known and delt with for a long time is out on maternity leave) is kind of tough.3 referrals going 3 different directions feels to me like spitting in the wind and hoping it doesn't come back.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Narcotics are given to break the cycle a headache pain that is out of the ordinary and where no other identifying ailment can be found to be causing the problem--especially if you have been to the hospital. 24 dose is not likely to cause addiction problems unless you already have an addiction problem. However, if you are actually still functional with the headache, then that would explain why that route has not been taken, but there are better pain meds (other than Tylenol) that might have been tried. When you said ungodly, I was thinking of the kind of headache that basically immobilizes you from doing anything-- moving, eating, sick in bed moaning type of headache.

reefkeeperZ

It waxes and wanes. goes from minor to migraine with tears coming out of the eyes. Every doctor I see seems to want to push me off onto some one else for consultation (I guess thats a drawback of having decent insurance they can get them and their friends paid) or maybe i'm just cynical.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry your going through this. Its difficult when you get the medical revolving door with little to show for it. If the crux of your problem is just this headache, you may want to ask the doctor for something to just break the pain cycle to see if just resolves. Have you take a CAT scan?

reefkeeperZ

yep so the headache went full on migraine again wound up in the hospital, again. they gave me a shot now its just a headache again. I really can't take much more of this headache crap. you'd think that high power stuff they shot me up with would squelch it for at least a couple hours....

darthtang aw

Not to make light of the situation but, if the doctors can't get this figured soon I would try something different. Hookers and blow might do the trick.

reefkeeperZ

hahahaha levity is a good thing man. You're not going to offend me by cracking jokes. You should have seen the look on the doctors face when he asked if I had been taking anything for the headaches and I told him whiskey.... apparantly he's not familiar with my deadpan joke style.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a different doctor. Such as a neurologist. I would push for the CAT scan at this point. You need to see if their is something more than hot air in there (my attempt at bad joke :D)

reefkeeperZ

at least one of the nurses at the cardiologist got my humor style and told me if they could find my heart, they would test it.

reefkeeperZ

The results from the heart monitor should be back today or tomorrow, once they are in we will figure the next step.

Kristin1234

Have you tried Excedrin for the headaches?

I've also experienced migraines and was given 2 prescriptions and neither of those were doing squat..

Over the counter Excedrin was wonderful for me. And drink lots of water. Lots.

Have you tried melatonin for the sleep issues? This could also be contributing to your headaches.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree. My son suffers migraines and takes Excedrin. He can get the horrid, nausea, throwing up, can't stand up or stand light kind of migraine.

reefkeeperZ

Yeah I switched to excedrine migraine formula days ago, it helps a bit but they come back before I can take more and i'm not sucking down excedrin for the rest of my life just to be able to function, I like having a functioning liver

reefkeeperZ

I love drs offices they are definitely aware of whats going on and doing there best to come up with a treatment plan as well as efficient about their records....... (cover that in about 50 layers of sarcasm please)

I called the cardiology people the other morning at about 9am to see where the results were from the heart monitor. they told me they had e-mailed them over to my primary care doctor at 8:15am. So I waited most of the day to give them time to check out the results come 4pm I decided not to wait any more so I called my primary to see what the results were. they said they didn't have them. So I informed them they had been sent over at 8:15 am from the cardiology people. they searched through their faxes and said they didn't have the fax yet. I said I wasn't surprised since they e-mailed it over, the person in records said their e-mail did not function. then said it again like I didn't hear the first time, so I asked them to find the results, or call the cardio people and have them faxed over, they then put me on hold and found that lo and behold their email does in fact work and my records had been sitting there all day (it was 4 pm at that point). That's definitely the problem with 40 different people being involved in your care as well as having an infrastructure and employees that don't know how to do their jobs. during the entire several weeks of this debacle I haven't seen the same person more than one time.