My own newbie thread

bang guy

Ok so Im trying to utilize pieces of material I have at home for my sump chamber walls...so I have a bunch of 1/8" thick pieces and I heard 1/4" is the way to go...could I just jb weld or super glue gel them together to get 1/4" sheets....I tried using the 1/8" sheets singly but they need to be 2' long so the flexiness in the plexi caused the silicone bond to break on the sump tank...and I guess when I get to that step I will see how well plexi bonds with acrylic using silicone :confused:
Use Weld-On. JMHO.

iidylii

Ok my sump is finally circulating water...do I need to have my heater on while I'm letting the sump run through the silicone for a week or so?

iidylii

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ora cleaner wrasse&fr=iphone&.tsrc=apple&pcarrier=AT&T&pmcc=310&pmnc=410

Why does this cleaner wrasse have yellow on his head...my lfs has one so I was just wondering...she also fed the tank flake and frozen food which it did not want anything to do with so I was just wondering if I should maybe not be considering getting it seeing how I only have 2 other small fish for him to clean and no pods in my tank for him to survive on if that's what he is feeding on?

edit...after doing some more research it seems it would not be wise to purchase one of these with so few fish in my tank...so nvm...I guess I just thought it was interesting that his head was yellow and all I have seen is ones with just the normal blue, black and silver markings :)

Last edited:

bang guy

In general Cleaner Wrasse feed on the slime coating of large fish. They typically starve in anything but large tanks with many large fish. There are many species of Cleaner Wrasse and they do not all look alike.

iidylii

Hi again everyone...so my dad just set up a 125 gal tank...72"x18" wide...we definitely want reef capable ones...he also prefers this style of light that sits on top the glass tops...thanks as always
image.jpg

flower

Hi,

That looks much like the full spectrum LED light I have. It is only good enough for low light corals, it will make the fish colors pop

iidylii

Thanks flower and yeah I'm looking for something that's gonna work for pretty much any corals...those are just an example of what style I want them to look like...like able to sit up on top of the tank and not hanging

lmforbis

Have you looked at the max spec razor. I think they come with legs to mount. Kesssils have a goose neck you can mount to the tank.

lmforbis

Unfortunately if you want to grow coral you need good lights and good lights are expensive. I have 2 Kessil 160s on my 125. I plan to get 2 more in the next couple months. My aqua scape allows me to just do two for the moment. I have two rock islands and the lights are centered directly above them. I have good growth with LPS but not enough light for an anemone or most SPS. That is what I liked about the Kessils is I could add more later.

lmforbis

I love how natural the light looks. I also have their controller so I can set up the gradual increase and decrease in intensity

iidylii

Unfortunately if you want to grow coral you need good lights and good lights are expensive. I have 2 Kessil 160s on my 125. I plan to get 2 more in the next couple months. My aqua scape allows me to just do two for the moment. I have two rock islands and the lights are centered directly above them. I have good growth with LPS but not enough light for an anemone or most SPS. That is what I liked about the Kessils is I could add more later.
Any idea what they ran u? I'm seeing like $180 a piece? They r very nice though

flower

Any idea what they ran u? I'm seeing like $180 a piece? They r very nice though
LED lighting is the new rage, and that means expensive. $180.00 is pretty cheap for LED lighting. The full spectrum, like the lights you showed can do low light corals, there are others on the forum better able to assist on how strong your LED lighting needs to be for the more light demanding coral, I kept mushrooms and seahorses under those lights, so I'm no help for what will work... LOL...just what won't.

iidylii

Flower...I believe it's $180 for a tiny little light and for a 125 I'm gonna want 4 of the lights bringing it to just shy of $800 lol :~}