What fish is this?

BanditMan15

So funny story I went to LFS and got about 20 lbs of live rock. Which was about 30 min away, came home started to make dinner and then opened up foam cooler and picked out two rocks put in tank. I got to the third and saw a three inch black something in the corner. I went to pick up and it was a fish. I rushed it to my DT and tried to see if it would still be alive. Knowing that it was a goner lowered my hands in water and what do you know it swam away and looks to be freakin healthy!!! Name is: Lucky! What is this, looks to be a some sort of trigger? Sorry for the bad picks

Attachments

pegasus

Definitely looks like a trigger. At first glance, I thought it was a Niger Triggerfish. Then I noticed what looked like a yellow tail in the first pic, which would indicate Yellowtail Triggerfish. It's hard to be certain, as the pics are a bit grainy...

Kristin1234

Looks like an undulated trigger to me but I can't see it very clearly!

That's a cool story though!!

Try to get a better pic with some lights!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like an undulated trigger to me but I can't see it very clearly!
I agree its an undulated trigger. SWF is selling that fish for $45. Now, question is....is this a suitable fish for your fish tank??

How was the live rock packed? Any water?

Kristin1234

That trigger is one mean sucker if it's indeed undulated.

Will eat everything... Even you if you allow it. Lol

BanditMan15

Nope no water and rock was packed in foam cooler ... That's def an undulated trigger!! Unfortunately I have blennys clowns and CC star and few Tsnails what do yall think give him back?

pegasus

Depends on what kind of tank you want. It'll do fine in a FOWLR tank, but if you plan to have smaller snails and corals, it's probably best to let it go back. Perhaps the LFS will give you a store credit or discount on another fish. Won't hurt to ask. Another thing, you may run into a problem if you decide to add soft corals like mushrooms and ricordeas. CC stars love to munch on those, as I found out the hard way. After eating my favorite mushroom and ricordea, and flying like a Frisbee into the kitchen sink, it went back to the LFS. It had gotten pretty big, and I didn't see it the next time we went back... so it must be someone else's problem now. Oh well...

josh93

If it is an insulated trigger you can forget about keeping anything with him unless you have a massive tank. He WILL eventually go crazy and kill ALL his tankmates. I would definitely return him.

BanditMan15

If it is an insulated trigger you can forget about keeping anything with him unless you have a massive tank. He WILL eventually go crazy and kill ALL his tankmates. I would definitely return him.
Gotcha thanks for the reply I think I will do so. I have a 75 gal and he seems to be doing great with tank mates (FOR NOW)! So yea prolly better....

jay0705

It sucks bc there a nice looking fish. But as they mature so does there personality. They mature into nasty suckers. Lol damsels have a bad rep too, I have 2 w no issues. Undulated triggers I've never heard being nice lol